Part 21

Monty's eyes hadn't left the entrance of the courtroom since his dad was dragged out of it. He knew Winston was standing in front of him, but he couldn't bring himself to look away from the doors.

"Monty?" Winston had been repeating his name, trying to get his attention.

Ultimately deciding that just calling his name wasn't working, Winston put his other hand on the opposite side of Monty's head and pulled him closer so that they were face to face.

Monty's eyes finally focused on something other than the doors as he made eye contact with the boy he cared about more than anything.

"Monty... Are you okay?" Winston's face was full of concern.

"I-I don't know." Monty said, being honest.

"That's alright." At Monty's confused glance, Winston continued, "You don't need to be okay right now, considering what just happened."

Monty nodded and leaned his forehead against Winston's, seemingly forgetting everyone else around them. They stayed like that for a few seconds, both of Winston's hands on either side of Monty's face, while Monty closed his eyes and took a couple deep breaths. When Monty pulled away he realized everyone in the room was staring at them.

He cleared his throat awkwardly and looked over at his mom and sister. Estela was still wrapped in her mom's embrace, but she had a look on her face that told Monty he should come over to them.

Monty glanced back at Judge Campbell to see if it was okay to do so. He and Beverly were caught up in a conversation that Monty assumed was about his dad's arrest.

He decided it was probably okay and began walking over to meet both of them. Estela untangled herself from her mom's arms and launched herself at her brother. Monty smiled as he hugged her.

After a few moments, they let go of each other. Monty immediately looked up at his mom, who was watching them with tears rolling down her cheeks.

"Don't cry, mom." Monty told her.

She didn't say anything. She just moved forward and pulled her son into her arms and held him.

"I missed you so much." She said, still embracing him.

Monty pulled back, surprised, "You did?"

"Of course I did." She told him, "Honey, I love you more than my own life. I was so devastated when I thought you were..." She trailed off, not wanting to finish that sentence.

"I never agreed with anything your father thought. I was just too afraid to say anything. I'm so sorry." She said.

Monty shook his head, "I'm the one who should be sorry, mom."

"That doesn't matter, right now. I want you to come home, Monty." She said.

Monty's eyes widened as tears formed in them, "Really?" He asked and his mom nodded, bringing him back in for another hug. Estela smiled and joined in.

About a half hour passed and soon everyone had left the courtroom. Monty was free to go home for the day, since his first therapy session was tomorrow. When everyone started to leave, he tried to find Beverly.

When he found her standing in the hallway, Monty tapped her on the shoulder, unsure of how he should greet her. She turned around and smiled at him.

"Hello, Monty." She said, cheerfully.

"Hey, Beverly. I just wanted to say thank you. I mean, seriously, I can't thank you enough for what you did for me." Monty said, sincerely.