Part 20

Author's Note: I'm so so sorry this took so long! My schedule's been pretty hectic lately so I haven't had the time to write :(

Also, I found out that the two guys who helped Monty have names (Taylor and Kenneth). So I edited the previous chapter and this chapter will use their real names.

This chapter's a bit longer than usual, I hope you enjoy! :)
——————————————————————————

It had been two days. Two days and the trial was already taking place. To some people, it may have seemed too soon, but to Winston, it felt long overdue. Deputy Standall had called Winston early in the morning to tell him that the trial would take place that day.

Winston, who hadn't been able to sleep anyway, immediately drove to the courthouse. He met up with his mom, who told him that the trial would happen in a few hours. He tried to ask more questions and get more answers about it, but his mom didn't think it would be a good idea for him to know.

When his mom left to go prepare for the upcoming trial, Winston texted Diego and Estela and told them what was going on. Diego responded that he was on his way. Estela had to wait until her parents left the house, which Winston assumed was going to be a long time.

The news had gotten around town that Monty was alive and it was all anybody was talking about. Monty and Estela's parents of course found out. Estela didn't like talking about it, but she told Winston and Diego that she'd never seen her dad more angry.

Diego arrived quickly and saw Winston sitting alone in the main hall of the courthouse. They talked for a little while, before Diego stood up, announcing that he needed to stretch his legs.

When Diego left, Winston pulled out a Polaroid picture from his pocket. He stared at it, admiring the way Monty looked. He almost looked happy, a small smile was planted on his face as he laid in Winston's bed. Winston could look at the picture all day and not just because it alibied Monty. The date in the bottom right corner proved his innocence.

"Winston?" A voice called from close by, but Winston didn't hear it. He was too caught up in his mind, letting his thoughts race back and forth.

If Monty ends up going to prison again, when will he get out? Would he ever get out? Is he going to be okay? Would he forget about me? Would he still want to be with me after he got out? Would he-

"Winston!" The voice called again.

Winston heard it this time and looked up, shoving the picture back into his pocket. Diego was standing in front of him, trying to get his attention by waving his hand in front of his face.

"Sorry. I kinda spaced out for a second." Winston apologized.

"It's all good. I was just gonna go get a snack, do you want anything?" Diego motioned to the row of vending machines behind him.

Winston shook his head, "I don't think I'd be able to keep any food down right now."

Diego frowned, but nodded. Deciding that food wasn't as important as comforting Winston, he sat down next to him.

"I know how intense this all is. It's stuff we shouldn't even have to think about at this age, but we have to. For Monty." Diego said.

"I know." Winston stared down at his hands, "I'd do anything for him."

Diego turned to look at Winston, "Do you love him?"

Winston didn't say anything for a moment, but then slowly nodded, "Yeah, I think I do."

At Diego's silence, Winston laughed nervously, "That probably sounds crazy, since I've only known him for-"

"It's not crazy." Diego cut him off. "And with the way he looks at you when you're not looking, I'd say he loves you too." Diego said and nudged Winston in the shoulder.