Part 6

By the time Winston, Estela, and Diego had left Rosie's Diner, they were the only people there. They talked about every little detail of the paranoid group and what their next move might be.

Before they parted ways, Winston had tried to give Monty's journal back to Estela, but she told him that she thought it would be best if he kept it for now. He thanked her with a hug and got into his car.

The drive back home was long, but it gave him plenty of time to think.

What is the paranoid group hiding? Was his main thought.

When he finally made it to his house, he walked inside and sat down at the dining room table. He sighed and placed Monty's journal in front of him. He debated on whether or not he should read any more of it, since Monty probably never intended for anyone else to see it.

Winston didn't get a chance to decide, however, as the dining room light was suddenly turned on. He jumped in surprise and turned around to see his mom standing in the hallway.

"Winston? What on Earth were you doing out so late?" His mom asked, placing her hands on her hips.

Winston looked down at his watch in confusion. It showed that the time was 10:00 PM. Apparently, he, Estela, and Diego had lost track of time.

"Sorry mom, I didn't realize I was out so late." He ran a hand down his face and put the journal down on his lap.

"You still haven't told me what you were up to." His mom reminded him.

Winston rolled his eyes, "It won't happen again, alright? And if you must know, I was at a diner with some friends from school."

"Wait, you have friends?" His mom asked and Winston scoffed.

"Wow, thanks mom." He said sarcastically.

"I'm only teasing you." His mom said and they laughed.

"You know I was only curious about where you were because I love you." His mom said.

"I love you too, mom." Winston said, smiling.

"Good, now go to bed. You have school tomorrow." His mom pointed upstairs, before heading in the opposite direction.

Winston stayed at the table for a few minutes before eventually heading upstairs. He laid down on his bed and stared up at the ceiling. He hadn't gotten much sleep in the past few days.

When he woke up the next morning, he saw that he had a missed call from another unknown number. He had saved Estela and Diego's numbers in his phone the night before, so he knew it wasn't one of them.

His thumb hovered over the number, wondering if he should call back or not. He thought about it, before curiosity overtook him and he tapped on the number on his screen. His phone dialed for a few seconds before someone picked up.

"Winston Williams?" A deep voice asked on the other line.

"That's me." Winston replied.

"My name is Deputy Standall. I've been meaning to reach out to you. I've got a few questions I'd like to ask you, if you'd be able to stop by the police station later today."

Winston didn't answer for a moment. He was confused why this Deputy would be contacting him.

"What's this about?" Winston asked.

"I'd be happy to tell you if you came into the station." Deputy Standall replied.

"Um, okay, when would be a good time?" Winston asked.

"Does four sound alright to you? That way you'll be out of school for the day and you'll be home in time for dinner." Deputy Standall suggested.

"Yeah, four is good." Winston said.