Chapter seventeen

As they neared the tall gothic looking building, Evie wished she could flee into the comfort of Ryker's strong arms. But she knew that wasn't going to happen. The medieval like castle was enough upon sight to make her stomach turn and cause chills to run down her spine. The castle, compared to Ryker's, wasn't welcoming to say the least. Evie glanced to her left at Argo- who was standing proud with a large smile adorning his lips, she shot him a nervous glare.

With each advancing step she became more unsure of herself and her decision. She didn't want Ryker to give up everything he had or could have for her. But now she was beginning to feel selfish and she wanted him. Evie stopped dead in her tracks and Argo fell silent a few steps ahead of her.

"Have you forgotten...our deal?" Argo asked quietly, anger peaking through his tone.

She shook her head slowly. "No, Argo. I didn't forget."

"Then why do you stop?"

She sighed, lowered her head and knew there was no other way. She had made her bed and now she had to lay in it. She shook her head and began to walk again. Argo followed her more closely this time, he could feel her doubts and worries, but they were so close to completing the transformation that Argo no longer cared about her worries, he just needed to get Evie inside and everything else would be taken care of.

Soon, the CuCuy's would fulfill their prophecy and they would overpower Ryker, taking his kingdom as their own. Of course the CuCuy's had a plan to fall back on, but that was only in case of need of drastic measures. Argo led Evie onto the castle grounds, allowing her to go first so he could urge her forward gently if she began to have second thoughts.

As Evie stepped onto the grounds, she felt the atmosphere around her change drastically. Nothing about the feelings she received felt welcoming or warm in any slightest way possible. It was cold, indifferent, and apathetic. Evie didn't like the feel of it at all.

She halted once again, this time causing Argo to crash into her back awkwardly. She sighed. "I don't like this place, Argo."

He smiled reassuringly at her and motioned to the main building as he talked. "This is good...very good...you will be safe here. And Ryker, he will be safe too."

Evie nodded and eyed the main building worriedly. She swallowed the hard lump that had formed in her throat and began to walk forward again while reminding herself just why she had chosen this. It was for Ryker and his family, Allard and Channing. It was for their safety, and out of love for them, it was why Evie made her decision.

**********

Ryker, Ives, and Chalmers hurriedly packed bags full of the little supplies left over from the attack on the kingdom. There wasn't much left, most of the supplies and ammunition had been destroyed and torn apart during the attack. The remaining supplies was scavenged by those who were still able.

"We need to hurry," Ryker growled as he finished packing. "We need to find Evie before the CuCuy's can finish this transformation. We'll split up to cover more ground."

Without waiting for their responses, Ryker fled from his damaged kingdom in pursuit of Evie. She told him she didn't want him to throw everything he had away because of her, but wasn't that what he was doing now? Evie had to know that Ryker would come after her whether she wanted him to or not. Ryker just had to make sure Evie was safe, it didn't matter to him anymore if she wanted to go home and never see him again, as long as she was safe and alive. That's all Ryker wanted.

Ryker trudged through the thick snow, it crunching underneath him from his weight. He kept his eyes forward, he kept them on the goal and cleared his mind from everything else. Ryker used his anger and turned it into determination. He knew he couldn't just walk in and take Evie back, though there weren't any CuCuy's protecting the outside barrier, he knew if he even came close they would pounce. So he had to come up with a different plan, a plan with moves that the CuCuy's wouldn't be expecting.

Ryker stepped out into the open, putting his hands up to show that he didn't have any weapons and carefully walked towards the base and the awaiting CuCuy patrols. "I surrender! Prince Ryker of Salvatore surrenders!"