Meeting the Devil's son

She felt gently the scar above her left eyebrow; she traced it with her fingertip trying to remember a story that went with it. The scar that no one remembered. She looked up to the stars, pointed to the brightest one and made a silent wish. It wasn't until she turned sixteen; that she discovered another world that belonged to another.

Suddenly she recalled the words spoken to her in a dream, silent but effortlessly flowing like the breeze. She remembered his voice as sweet and thick as honey, and his eyes...his eyes; she just couldn't believe. Swirls of delicate gold in a sea of green midnight eyes, flecks and specks of something else she couldn't quite describe. And though she knew he was dangerous, just by the aura he gave off, she never wanted him to leave him when she woke up.

"Ryker." she whispered his name, a sweet melody to her lips.

Warm calloused hands rested on her bare shoulders gently. "I am here."

She sighed and relished in his sweet thick voice. "Say my name." she whispered.

"Evie..." he breathed out her name like air.

She felt his hot breath rush past her ear and she shivered, earning goosebumps.

"Evie," he spoke more strongly this time. "Come with me."

She shook her head slowly and regretfully. How she had longed to say yes. "I can't. I'm not ready yet, please be patient."

He sighed and dropped his hands from her shoulders. "I will wait for as long as you need."

She didn't say anything more because she knew now he had to leave. She slowly counted down the seconds. But she did something she wouldn't have normally done, she wiped around  and placed an urgent needy kiss upon his lips. She expected her actions to surprise him, but instead he seemed to anticipate them and kissed her with the same desperate passion she had shown.

She stretched up and stood on her toes, putting her arms around his neck and he resting his on her hips. Then like the morning fog, he disappeared, leaving nothing but a trace. Leaving feelings, leaving emotions, but no memory of what his face had actually looked like; all except his eyes and the sound of his honey voice. This time though, leaving behind the feeling of his lips on hers.

**********

"Evie Mae!" Her mother yelled impatiently from the bottom of the stairs. "You're late!"

She shot up out of bed, tearing the warm covers off of her now freezing body. She hurriedly glanced at her alarm clock while pulling on a pair of dark blue jeans; she gawked at the time, which had not changed in the two minutes she had stared at it. Was it broken? She didn't know, all she could focus on was getting ready for her first day of school.

She was a junior at Middleton High school, she was a good student; on the volleyball team and made the honor roll every year. But she wasn't a nerd either. She was average height for her age, with curves and a pretty good arm; she had dirty blonde hair and fair skin, dark chocolate brown eyes to die for. In all reality, she looked exactly like her mother, but neither of them had thought so.

She threw her book bag on her shoulders carelessly and rushed down the stairs, pushing past her mother and not bothering to grab breakfast on her way out, but called a routine 'I love you!' before slamming the front door shut. The high school was only a few blocks away from Evie's house, so everyday she walked, occasionally; her best friend Robert would join her. But today she imagined he was already at school waiting for her to show up and tell him how her summer was, so in turn he could complain about how she had never came to see him. She shook her head and laughed to herself as she pictured his face. Shoving her neon green head buds in her ears, she continued on to school with her music blasting.

**********

"I'm Mrs. Whitelaw, for those of you who don't know me already." She scribbled her name quickly on the white board in neat black handwriting. Evie envied her writing. "As you know; the board of education has been changing some stuff up lately, so mainly this hour I'm required to go over the new rules with you and make sure you understand them."

Mrs. Walker handed out thick paper packets with the school logo on the front in gray scale colors. Evie flipped through it uninterested just barely skimming the pages of paragraphs, she never cared much for new curriculums or rules, because at Middleton the rules were never really enforced, not strictly anyway.

Evie's mind floated back off to the dream she tried so desperately to remember. But all she came up with, were his eyes. Green with golden swirls. They were unlike any eyes she had ever seen, captivating, entrancing, mesmerizing. Something she had never encountered in any ones eyes before. Slowly, she began to draw the stars she had seen in her dreams; adding a bright little star into the beautiful scene. She pictured a gazebo with glistening white lights wrapped around its gray concrete pillars in the dead of night. She drew out the scene, just like in her head and was rather impressed with what she did.

But before she knew it, the shrill bell rang; she packed up her things and began to hum a lullaby she remembered from the first night, when he came to visit her while she was sobbing because her heart hurt. He sang her a lullaby so sweet and true, in words she didn't understand because they were new. She didn't know the words, but she hummed the melody and it was that song that helped her pull through the rest of the day.

"Hey Evie," A muscular arm was slung over her shoulders and she turned her eyes to meet her best friend- Robert.She smiled in return and they continued to walk. "What did the notorious Evie Walker do over break?"

She talked easily with Robert, he was practically her blood brother, or what she imagined her brother to be like anyways. "A good magician never reveals her secrets."

He shook his head at her comment but the smile remained in place as they walked outside in the direction of Evie's house. "There's this huge kick off part at Nick Jackson's house tonight at nine; it's supposed to be fun."

She nodded and bit her lip considering his invite. Her eyes caught the glimpse of an old black town car parked just a little ways up the street directly in front of her house. She eyed the car carefully, taking it its tinted windows and covered license plate. Then as if it wasn't even there, the car sped off.

"So what do you say?" Roberts voice cut in through her thoughts; pulling herself from her own mind.

She smiled a broad grin. "okay, i'll see you at nine."

************

Evie looked herself over in her full length mirror; she had been to plenty of parties before, but this one was going to be different, she could just feel it in her gut. And her gut was never wrong. She ran her fingers over the delicate lace material of her red dress, her mother had given it to her a while ago.

The sound of her phone ringing caused her eyes to snap over to where her phone was laying on her bed. "Hello? Mhm, I'm on my way right now."

She shoved her phone in her purse, slung her purse over her shoulder and drove over to Nick Jackson's house with butterflies in her stomach.