Epilogue

(Twenty years after)

Gracien stood before a mixed sea of Cucuy natives and people from Salvatore. He smiled proudly at the crowd and their attempts at friendliness. "Welcome, one in all, to our opening gala here at Salvatore. I hope you will enjoy the party, but there's something I want to do before we get started."

Gracien looked back at his wife Evie and held out his hand for her to join him there on the center stage. Confusion struck her, this was not part of the plan, but she obeyed hesitantly and joined him hand-in- hand in front of the crowd.

Gracien paused and scanned the faces of the crowd, "I am extremely happy to announce that Evie will be giving birth to an heir."

Gasps were heard throughout the crowd, including Evie-who was not expecting Gracien to tell them so soon. Some CuCuy's became angry, but most of them rejoiced at the news.

Argo came beside Evie and grabbed her arm lightly, "Ives has come to see you, but he says he cannot stay. He's waiting in the library."

Evie nodded and quickly followed Argo down to the library. She had heard about Ives from Gracien and she understood that he was a close friend and advisor of the late King Ryker. Evie invited Ives to the opening gala as a surprise for Gracien because he had told her that he hadn't seen or talked to Ives since Ryker died.

Evie opened the door to the library and studied the man she saw in front of her. He didn't look like the same person she had seen in pictures, he was older, worn down with age and wrinkles, and it looked like life had just taken a huge bite out of him. But despite his appearance, he gave a warm smile as he bowed, "Your majesty."

"Please, just call me Evie. I've heard so much about you. Gracien holds you in the highest regard."

His smile became more saddened at the mention of Gracien's name, "Yes, I imagine he would. But he cannot know that im here, Evie."

Evie looked at him in confusion, "Why? Are you in trouble?"

He shook his head, "No. Im not here for the opening gala actually and im afraid that if I did see Gracien it would bring back darker days. Im here to warn you, Evie."

She stepped closed to him, "What are you talking about?"

"A long time ago, when I accompanied Evie Walker, she asked me about my Sani and if I ever had one. I never did tell her the whole story, I just didn't think it was necessary at that time. Though it seems completely relevant now." Ives sat shakily in the chair behind him with a sigh, "I had a Sani once. She was beautiful, everything I could ever ask for and more. When I met her however, she was a slave of the CuCuy's and pregnant. I loved her so much that I claimed the child as my own and married her right away. However, the CuCuy's didn't approve of our union and as her pregnancy progressed, my wife expressed her darkest secrets to me. This is why I have come here, Evie, to warn you about the CuCuy's."

"But we're at peace now, Ives. They wouldn't start another war, not after twenty years."

Ives shook his head, "No, you're mistaken. The CuCuy's while persistent at times are also patient. They would wait decades if it meant they could-"

Argo busted through the door of the library, breathing heavily, "Im sorry to interrupt this reunion, but there was an outbreak in the gardens. I am to take you to safety immediately at the request of the king."

"Wait, just a minute." Evie turned back around to face Ives, "Tell me, what do they want?"

A deafening crash sounded throughout the halls and echoed through the palace, Argo grabbed Evie's upper arm and began to tug her towards the door despite her protest, "Please, they are becoming angry!" Argo yelled frantically.

"Meet me tomorrow night!" ives called as Evie was finally yanked out of the room.

"Where?!"

"I'll send for you!"

•••••••••

oh no! a cliffhanger! how did that get there? haha, Did you guys like it? if you liked this book and want to read the second comment on this chapter or vote for it please! I really want to continue this journey! Have a great day and as always,

     thanks for reading:)