Chapter Fifteen

"Ryker..." Evie gasped as she stared down at his immobile body.

Evie didn't know where they were or how they got here, but she didn't care. Argo helped her find Ryker like he promised and all she cared about right now was getting him back home safely. She kneeled down beside him and touched his face gently. His skin was extremely pale with a blueish tint, his clothes were torn and tattered and his body was covered in cuts, scratches, scraps and gashes.

"Ryker?" She spoke gently. "It's me, it's Evie. I'm here now."

Argo stood behind Evie, turning his back to them and allowing them privacy while she tried to wake him.

"Ryker? Can you hear me?" With no response or movement coming from her Sion, Evie worriedly turned to Argo. "What's wrong with him, Argo?"

Argo turned around and knelt beside Evie, examining Ryker's body, his injuries. "Pain...was too much...for him to...bear. He..passed out."

"We need to get him out of here, he needs a doctor."

Argo shook his head hesitantly. "We cannot."

"What do you mean? You promised me you would help me!"

"Find him. I promised...to help...find him." He corrected ad stood to his feet. "Now...it is time...for your part of...the deal."

"No!" Evie screamed and tears began to fall down her cheeks. "I won't leave until I know he's ok. Please Argo, heal him! Do something!" She was clinging onto Ryker's shirt now, refusing to leave him here until she knew he would be taken care of. "I need to tell him," she began to calm down, tears still on her cheeks rolling down in big fat drops. "I need to tell him what I've agreed to. He deserves to know that much. Please Argo, just let me talk to him. Then I'll go with you, I promise."

Argo stared into Evie's eyes, looking for signs of mischief or betrayal. Once he was satisfied, he nodded his head quickly and kneeled back down beside Ryker. Argo placed his hands on either side of Ryker's head and closed his eyes.

Ryker sputtered back to life. Gasping for air as he first woke, Evie did her best to calm him. Ryker grabbed Evie's hand and smiled at her, but soon his smile turned into a wince as the pain of his injuries started back up again.

"Ryker, you need to listen very carefully, ok?" Evie coaxed and he nodded in response, letting out a little groan of pain. "Argo agreed to help me find you. He brought me here. In return I agreed to go with him. He told me I was important to his society, that they need me. I have to go with him, Ryker."

Ryker shook his head quickly, anger and confusion flashing in his eyes. "No...Evie..." His voice was hoarse. His eyes darted to Argo and he clenched his jaw. "Stay away from her."

Argo just smirked down at Ryker, which only angered Ryker further. Ryker abruptly tried to attack Argo, he raised his arm quickly, but once the pain shot through he dropped his hand and cried out.

Ryker looked to Evie with pleading eyes. "Don't go with him. You don't know what will happen."

"And I don't know what will happen to you if I don't." She smiled sadly at him. "I can't lose you, Ryker."

"You will not go with him." The firmness and authority in Ryker's voice scared Evie and sent chills down her spine.

"I'm sorry, Ryker. I'm so sorry." Evie shook her head softly, not wanting to leave but knowing it was the best bet that secured Ryker's safety for the moment.

Evie began to stand, but Ryker grabbed her hand and held it tightly. "No, Evie. Please, you can't go."

Argo released Ryker's mind and stood. "It is time."

"No! You don't know what your doing, Evie! You can't trust them! Evie! I love you!"

"I love you too, Ryker