Chapter Twenty-Eight

(Continued from Chapter Twenty-Seven)

Harsh sirens filled the night air, causing both Evie and Gracien to jump in alarm. Alaire, in a frenzy of panic, came sprinting from the house towards Gracien with tears streaming down her face.

"Gracien! You have to help, please!" Alaire collapsed into her older brothers arms and cried into his shirt. "Cai hurt him! He hurt him! Now Cai is going to take the throne! Daddy is sick....Gracien help him!"

"Whoa...calm down, Alaire. What happened to dad?" Gracien tried his best to gain control of the situation.

"Cai hurt him and he'a bleeding a alot!" Alaire yelled back.

Gracien raced towards the house with a anxious Evie following quickly behind him. When Gracien appeared in the doorway of the dining room, everything was silent. Broken dishes that looked like they had been thrown from the table lay on the floor in pieces. A few chairs were tipped over and now lay among the broken dishes on the floor. A trail of deep red blood, which started at the end of the dinner table, stained the white carpet flooring and made a path into the study.

Gracien quieted his steps and instructed Evie to do the same as she followed him carefully. They made their way into the study, Gracien quietly pushed open the mahogany door and entered.

Gracien straightened his posture almost immediately and his eyes became wide. "Cai...what have you done?"

Cai, who originally had his back turned, turned around to face Gracien. Blood covered his stretched out shirt and sweat covered almost every inch of exposed skin. He stood bent over Ryker, who was laying motionlessly on the wood floors. In his right hand, Cai held a knife tightly. "I had to do it, Gracien. He wasn't listening to me. He doesn't understand. But you'll listen, you always listen." Cai came closer to Gracien but Gracien moved away.

"If you want to talk, you'll have to drop the knife."

Cai nodded his head and dropped the knife immediately, causing it to fall next to Ryker. "I hate the CuCuy's, with a passion. I could care less if they even existed. They're no good...useless. But Evie isn't like them. Sure she rules over them, but that doesn't matter. She doesn't look anything like them. She could rule with me, be my queen and we could destroy the CuCuy's. Everyone would be happy and it would all work out." A creepy, mischievous smile crept onto Cai's face.

"But it isn't right, Cai. Our people would be furious with you."

"You don't listen either! Your just like dad! But he was worthless too, he was weak! Our people cannot have a weak leader...ever!" Cai picked up the knife from the carpet and ran towards Gracien with intent to kill.

Gracien bounced backwards, dodging Cai's attack attempt and fled from the room, running into the kitchen to grab something to defend himself with. Evie, who had been standing outside of the study the whole time, rushed into the study room and kneeled down beside Ryker to make sure that he was still breathing and conscious. She used her upper arm strength to flip his body so that he laid on his back rather than his stomach.

A slow breath escaped him and eventually his eyelids fluttered open. "Evie..."

"King Ryker, just...just hang in there. I'm going to run and get help, just don't move." Evie felt tears slipping down her cheeks, she began to stand up, but Ryker stopped her.

"No, please, stay here. There's...there's something i need to tell you, if these are my last words, just let me tell you this."

Evie nodded for him to continue. Tears fell down her face but she didn't understand why. She was usually strong, she didn't know King Ryker very well. There was something else inside of her, that tugged on her heart, something she didn't quite understand.

"You may not believe me, but ask Argo and he will tell you the same. You are the reincarnation of my Sani. You look so much like her now...but you are not her. Somewhere, within your soul is my Sani, you even share the same name. I loved her as i still do, she sacrificed herself for me..." Ryker began a fit of coughing but quickly calmed himself in order to finish talking. "She sacrificed herself for me and for my people. From her love came the alliance. My people and the CuCuy's would not have a friendship if it were not for her." His voice grew quieter and more hoarse. "Cai is not the one to take the throne....Gracien is-he is everything that my people need. He loves you, so very much...and would do anything...anything for you. I-" Ryker lost consciousness momentarily then his eyes opened again slowly. "I wouldn't want anything more...than to see...you by his side. You two could do wonders."

Ryker turned his head to one side, closed his eyes and released his last breath. Evie began crying uncontrollably, she couldn't believe that someone she looked up to thought she could be great. He had loved her, her whole life and never told her, never had intentions of telling her what had happened between them until his death. Evie couldn't believe that Argo would keep something this big from her. Argo-the man that was supposed to look out for her and protect her, not hide the truth.

"Evie..."

Evie turned her head quickly to look at who the voice belonged to. She gasped once she saw an exhausted looking Gracien, with sweat blood staining his clothes. Evie stood before him, examining his body for serious injuries.

Satisfied, she began to question. "What happened? Where's cai?"

"I did what i had to do, Evie. I admit, i'm not proud of it. Cai, he wouldn't stop attacking me. I had to kill him." Gracien looked away from Evie, afraid that she would think of him differently.

A scene entered Evie's mind, something that looked like a memory, but she knew it wasn't her own. A younger King Ryker stood in the middle of the woods...

(Memory sequence)

'I'm sorry for having to leave you like this, Ryker. You have your kingdom, your people and you can't throw all of it away because of me. You have too much at stake here and there are too many people that depend on you. I won't let you lose everything you have because of me.'

'You are everything to me...don't go. Tell me where you are and I'll come find you. We can be safe again, Evie.'

'I'm sorry Ryker, I made up my mind.'

'I will not give up on you, Evie.'

(Present time)

Chalmers came skidding into the room, his face was stricken with worry and his eyes were pained. "Gracien, i heard the noise and the servants informed me-" his eyes wondered down to King Ryker and a small quick sob escaped from his lips.

Everyone in the room fell into a respectful silence. Gracien hung his head and let Chalmers take it all in, he knew that his father and Chalmers were friends before his father took the throne and Gracien wasn't sure how Chalmers would take the emotional scene.

"H-how...?" Chalmers stuttered with tears in his eyes.

"Cai killed him..." Gracien's voice was gentle but filled with a deep sadness for the loss of his father.

Chalmers but down hard on his bottom lip to prevent further tears from pouring out. He looked to Gracien and straightened his posture, with his head bowed, he began to speak. "King Gracien Salvatore, you will be the savior of many, ruler of all and peace keeper to our people- just like your father was. As your faithful servants, we bow down to you- King Gracien."

*****

(Note from the author)

Sadly, this adventure has come to an end. I'm glad that you all have enjoyed this story and stuck with it until the end. I had a lot of fun writing this book and would like to inform you that this is in fact the first book that i have actually finished writing. I hope you all enjoyed this crazy train ride. And hopefully, there will be many more stories to come! Thank you all!