Chapter eleven

"You don't understand, Evie! I know you love them and miss them, and I will never forgive myself for taking you away from all of this. But I cannot lose you." Near the end, his voice became quiet and sounded defeated.

"There's no other way Ryker, they need me here." Tears were streaming down her face, she had never felt so strongly.

"I need you. I'm selfish, and again I apologize. But if I go back there without you, I'll be a failure in the eyes of my kingdom, to them it would show that I'm weak and-"

He reached for her but she pulled away. "That's what all of this is about to you?! The only reason you want me to come back with you is because you don't want to look weak in front of your kingdom?!" She laughed in disbelief and began to walk away from Ryker with no more to say, then she turned on her heel suddenly. "If your kingdom is so important to you, go back to them. But don't expect me to go back with you."

"Evie, don't-"

She stomped out of the room with long strides, making sure to slam the door behind her as hard as she could. She didn't like fighting with Ryker and she especially didn't want their conversation to end the way that it did. But she wasn't going to leave her family and friends again, not after she realized how much leaving had affected them.

She wanted to be with Ryker with all of her being, but she couldn't be with Ryker knowing that her family and friends were suffering because of a decision she made.

Ryker started after her and grabbed her hand to keep her from walking away from him. His eyes and voice were pleading and defeated. "Please Evie, I don't want to lose you..."

Slowly, she felt her heart literally ache. "I don't want to leave you Ryker," she remained stern and pushed back her feelings. "But I can't be with you knowing that their suffering. As much as your kingdom means to you, is as much as my family means to me."

His voice became low and to Evie he sounded scared, nervous. "I will not leave you here by yourself."

"I've lived here 17 years without you Ryker, I'm sure I can survive one more." She turned again, but he stepped in front of her.

Placing his hands on her shoulders and staring into her eyes. "It's different now Evie, people know that I've declared you my Sani. There are people that are against me, and if their against me, their against you. It's not safe for you by yourself."

She furrowed her eyebrows together in confusion. "Why would they be against me? Their your people, not mine."

"Because your associated with me and they know you mean the world to me. Think about it, Evie. If they don't like me, they'll find a reason to make me miserable. Your the only possible thing that could be taken away from me and make me feel broken."

Evie understood now. Though she couldn't understand why his people wouldn't like him, she understood what Ryker was saying. She nodded slowly.

"I will stay with you here for as much time as you need." He sighed.

"No, you have to go back. They need-"

"They have my father and Channing if they need anything, i trust Channing to take my place if need be."

"But you just can't give up your position like this, won't your father be angry?"

"I suppose, but he'll learn to cope with it. Evie, I cannot live without you. Even if that means giving up my position as Prince to live here with you."

"Your father will hate me, Channing will hate me, so will your people. They'll all blame me, and then they'll come after me."

"They won't touch you." He growled back. "They won't even come close."