Chapter Twenty-Seven

Gracien and Evie stood together in silent shock. Cai, in his own way, had just declared his love for Evie, when only a few moments ago it seemed that he had a deep rooted hatred for her.

"Did you know?" Evie whispered as she turned to look at the still silent Gracien.

He shook his head slowly and snapped out of his daze. "No, i had no idea. I thought-"

"I know...me too." Evie gently touched her hand to her head as if she could stop the spinning feeling that was beginning to manifest. "I...i think i need some air."

Gracien nodded understandingly, needing some air for himself. "I'll walk with you."

"No." She responded quickly. "I mean, i would rather have a moment to think alone."

"I shall show you to the courtyard then and allow you your space."

**********

Cai raced down the hall, fleeting from the room or rather- his feelings. He did not want to believe that what he said was actually the truth, but it was. As much as he wanted to hate Evie, every time he ended up loving her. Cai could understand why his brother came to love Evie so easily.

Cai ended up in the entry way of the dining room, with King Ryker still seated at the dinner table.

"Father, i have something to tell you."

"Oh, cai, finally." Ryker stood up from his chair almost wearily. "Nice of you to join us for dinner, but im afraid your late."

"I apologize, but i have something important to tell you, i-"

"Cai, i told you how important this dinner was. How important it was for you to be here, I stressed it and you ran off in the woods. You may not care about the CuCuys, but i do and our people do and if you plan on being the next king, then you are to come to terms with that." Ryker pushed in his chair calmly and shoved his hands in his pockets.

Cai began to fume at the fact that his father wouldn't listen to him but instead gave him a lecture. "You're not even listening to me! I said i have something important to tell you and you rant on about whats important to you! What about whats important to me? Huh? Did you ever think about that?!" Cai would never dare to raise his voice against his fathers word, but this was something he felt strongly about and something that confused him-something he wanted his fathers guidance on.

Alaire waltzed into the room with a certain grace about her figure, her soft curls were bouncing in time with her steps and her blue eyes were lit alive with sparkles. "Papa! I have the greatest-" Alaire froze once she saw her brother Cai with a fierce expression, her smile fell. "Is everything okay, cai?"

Cai, in his impenetrable anger, whirled around on Alaire with his eyes set ablaze. "Everything is fine! Go with Momma and mind yourself!"

"Cai! No matter your anger level, you do not raise your voice to your sister!" Ryker calmed himself and took a few steady deep breaths to keep himself from exploding. "Now, if this matter of yours is so important that we must discuss it immediately, we may go into my office and do so in private."

Alaire, realizing that this was a personal and rather urgent matter, slowly and silently slipped out of the room and up the stairs.

"I hate you..." Cai spoke just barely above a whisper. "You have never been here for us and when you are, your too professional. We need a father, not another king. I need a father. Alaire and Gracien are too kind to say anything, but trust me, they feel the same way. Maybe if you paid more attention you would understand what has been going on right under your nose..."

**********

Evie breathed in the cold night air and breathed it out again, watching as her breath rose in clouds of frost. She walked the courtyard a thousand times, noticed all the flowers, the plants, and the small beetles on the walk ways, finally- with nothing left to observe or keep her mind occupied, she forced herself to think about her current situation.

Alone, she could recognize the right decision and the wrong decision. The right one being not to get involved romantically with either of the Salvatore brothers and convince herself that they are only here for help and support. The wrong being accepting her undeniable affection for Gracien, but crushing Cai in the process and further angering her people.

The CuCuy's, however peacefully seeming, disagreed strongly with the alliance and at every chance wanted it to be demolished. The more Evie received help or guidance or even friendship, the more she risked angering her people, and that was not something Evie wanted to do. The CuCuy's were notorious for being extremely gruesome in their punishments-especially that of rulers in which went against their morals.

"Evie? Are you alright out here?" Gracien quietly stepped out into the courtyard, still giving Evie her space, but staying close.

"Yes...thank you Gracien." She sighed and sat down on a nearby white stone bench.

"I'm sorry...about Cai, well, and the dinner being ruined." He walked over to a rose bush and began to pluck thorns off the stems. "I hope we didn't ruin your night."

She smiled as if to reassure him. "No, my night's usually end something like this. Honestly Gracien, don't worry yourself too much."

"Only when it comes to you, i'm never this careful of hurting feelings with anyone else." He handed Evie a delicate blood red rose with a smile.

"Oh, what a charmer." She replied sarcastically, but none-the-less, she accepted his rose.

"Here," he said reaching for the rose in her hands. "Let me."

In a calm slow movement, he took the rose from her hands and tucked a piece of hair behind her ear, then broke off the stem of the rose and placed the rose behind her ear so that it stayed there in perfect position and complimented her pale features.

"There." Gracien pulled back slightly.

Evie could feel his hot breath fan over her face and she began to blush at the realization of the close proximity. Butterflies began to build and build in her stomach.

She drew in a quick breath. "Gracien," standing up from her seat on the stone bench, she began to pace back and fourth. "I rely so much on you, i hope it isn't a burden."

"You could never be a burden, Evie." Gracien's voice was smooth and soft. Noticing her distress, he became worried. "Is everything okay?"

"Oh, yes, everything is fine."

Gracien knew better than to believe her. Despite her weak protests, Gracien wrapped his arms around Evie's small body. "Shhh, i am here for you now, Evie. You are safe with me."

Evie slowly felt herself letting go of everything, her body began to tremble and a few sobs escaped her lips followed by fat teardrops. She recognized what the right choice was then. Gracien was everything that a ruler should be- calm, strong, ready to cooperate, friendly, protective, he never lost sight of the target and he was quick witted. It was everything that Evie wanted in herself. She rested her head on Gracien's chest and allowed him to lull her into a calmer state.