Chapter 35: Funeral

Grey clouds hovered above the Hidden Leaf Village, darkening the village that was already dark and drowning in despair, having just lost their beloved Third Hokage. 

Hiruzen Sarutobi had fallen in battle against the Fourth Kazekage and several of his Elite Jounin, having teamed up on the old man who could only rely on his own battle prowess. He died taking down all of his enemies with him, including Rasa. That day was a devastating disaster for Konoha, but as well as Sand. 

Suna was severely crippled, having lost several Elite Jounin as well as around four-hundred Genin, Chunin, and Jounin. Two-thirds of their military was lost on the day of the invasion, most of the damage was dealt by none other Naruto Namikaze, who was said to have heroically defeat over a thousand men in battle. 

And now was the funeral for Hiruzen Sarutobi as well as several other shinobi who have fallen in battle, with everyone in the village standing in front of the memorial that was carefully put together, everyone dressed in black. 

Standing next to Naruto was Konohamaru, trying to fight tears. Naruto noticed and placed a comforting hand on the boy's head. "It's okay to cry, it's natural, don't let anyone tell you differently." 

Tears began flowing silently down Konohamaru's cheeks, hitting the ground as more droplets of water rained down from the sky. Everyone took turns walking to the memorial, paying their respects and leaving a single flower on the casket of the Third Hokage. 

Naruto vaguely remembered that this was the same setting for when his father and mother had died. Soon, it was Konohamaru's turn as he walked up the memorial alone, tears blending in with the rain as he looked at the picture of his grandfather. 

"I'm going to miss you, grandpa." He said with a choked up voice before hurrying away, not wanting everyone in the village to see him break. Then, Naruto went up the memorial and stood there with his hands in his pockets, having already placed his flower. 

"Thank you for everything, old man. I'll never forget you for as long as I live." He finished before walking away from the funeral, heading straight to Memorial Stone, where no doubt Hiruzen's name was now placed. 

He was too slow. 

He vanished in a body flicker and appeared right in front of the stone where his eyes trailed across the stone, reading the names of those he has lost in his head. 

'Rin, Obito, Mom, Dad, little sister, Izumi, Itachi, Fugaku, Mikoto, and now Hiruzen. Everyone from my past besides Kakashi is dead.'  Naruto thought bitterly. Everyone he cared about is dead. 

Now he had new people precious to him, and he would not allow them to die. He refused for them to fall like his past did, he would do anything to save them. 

"Naruto Namikaze?" An Anbu said, appearing next to him. She wore a cat mask and had purple flowing hair. Naruto knew her as Yugao Uzuki, but he would not call her that while she was on duty. 

"Is it time?" She nodded. "Thank you Kitten." 

"It's Cat." She stressed. Naruto smirked, a shadow of a smile on his face. 

"It's funny watching all of you Anbu squirm while trying to act professional. Oh well, have a nice day I suppose, don't work too hard." Naruto said before disappearing. 

Yugao cursed under her breath as she stood up fully, looking at the memorial stone herself. 

Hayate Gekko

The name read like a curse, plaguing her mind. She shook her head, she could wallow in sadness off duty, not right now. Many people were hurting, not just her.