Chapter 37: Shadows

Sakura stood in a grassy plain, a plain expression on her face. Naruto smiled at the sight of his daughter, but he knew this was a dream. A dream. 

He has had many dreams as of late, and this one was just like any other. 

She was taller than what she was before, she was fifteen, maybe sixteen here, he wasn't sure. He waved at her, but she had a small frown on her face. He rose an eyebrow at that, but didn't say anything.

Suddenly, tears erupted from her eyes as they trailed down her cheeks in small streams. "Sakura," Naruto began as he tried walking up to her, only to be stopped by some invisible force. He pounded on the wall, hoping to shatter it but to no avail, it didn't even budge. 

Suddenly, two very large boulders began descending from the sky, heading right towards Sakura. Naruto hit the wall frantically, his eyes wide with fear as he tried activating his Mangekyou, but his chakra wasn't working correctly. 

He shouted at her, telling her to run and get out of the way, but it seemingly fell to deaf ears. Sakura only stood there and cried silently before the two boulders hit her full force. Falling to his knees, Naruto could only helplessly look at the two boulders that had crushed his daughter. 

Then he saw white. 

"No!" Naruto shouted, sitting up from his small sleeping bag, drenched in sweat as his breathing was frantic, a single tear leaving his right eye. 

"Sensei," Sasuke spoke in a worried tone as he poked his head in the Namikaze's tent. "Are you alright?" Rubbing a hand over his face, Naruto nodded. 

"Just another nightmare." 

"About Anko again?" Sasuke asked curiously. Naruto frowned. 

He had been having dreams lately, or rather, nightmares. Nightmares of losing those he loved. 

First, it was a dream of his parents rising from their graves and killing him, then one of where Kakashi turned against him, then one where Anko had looked at him with disgust, and now this one? 

"No, this time it was about Sakura." Sasuke visibly frowned at this. 

"Well, it's probably because you miss everyone. But we're heading back today, right?" He asked carefully, judging Naruto's reaction.

"It has been three years, hasn't it?" Naruto asked rhetorically as he stepped out of the tent, his eyes squinting due to the sunlight reaching his eyes. "A bit over that." 

"Three years, two months, and seventeen days." Sasuke answered helpfully. Naruto nodded as he made a clone to start packing his stuff up. 

"Well, we can start making our way back then. I can't wait to see my Anko-chan again!" Sasuke rolled his eyes. 

"Mei is hotter." Naruto rolled his eyes. 

"Yeah, right, and Zabuza is the Fifth Mizukage." He said sarcastically. Sasuke shook his head.

"She wanted you, sensei. She practically drooled at the mouth whenever you came into a room, the only reason I think she didn't jump you was because you were so helpful in their little war." Naruto smirked.

"What can I say? The ladies love me!" Sasuke felt his eyes roll at his sensei's stupidity, but a tiny smile was on his face. 

During their trip, Naruto and Sasuke had journeyed across the Shinobi Nations, training to become stronger so that they could be prepared for any hardship that was to come. They had even helped the Mist Village with their little Civil War where they were fighting against Yagura, the Fourth Mizukage and his loyalist, who wanted to kill all of those with bloodlines.