Chapter 14: Whirlpools

Naruto hummed a small tune as he strode down the dirt path that led to Wave Country, a large grin on his face, the prospect of seeing a new land excited him immensely. However, Kurenai and Anko walked a few yards behind him, talking amongst themselves. 

They were nearing the Land of Waves, a small town could be seen in the distance, Naruto's bright smile only increasing at the sight. 

"C'mon guys, I see the town! We can find lodging there for the night before we actually begin our mission." Kurenai rose an eyebrow. 

"But it's only three o'clock, why not just finish the mission and get it over with?" She was elbowed in the side by Anko, who was smirking. 

"Come on Kurenai! We get to eat all types of different dango here! Let's just enjoy our missions for once!" Kurenai rolled her eyes. 

"And I thought the Jounin was a child. . ." Anko scowled at being called out so easily. 

"No fighting now," Naruto said nervously, an awkward grin on his face. "Let's just hurry up." 

"Tch," Anko clicked her tongue and ran ahead, most likely going to the nearest restaurant that served her favorite sugary food. 

"I hope you know that waiting for tomorrow is a waste of time." She spat out as he walked away, her arms crossed.

"Are you upset?" He asked her quietly, causing her to stop and freeze, deathly still. "Are you upset that I got to Jounin faster than you? I mean, you were a Chunin when I was six-years-old and you're still only a Special Jounin while I got promoted from Genin to Jounin in one fell swoop. Do you detest me on that fact alone?" 

Kurenai was quiet for a moment before she spoke. "No, that is not the reason why I dislike you. I was watching your performance last year at the Chunin Exams, and in my personal belief," She stopped for a second, wondering if she should continue or not. She decided to. "I do not believe you are fit to be a shinobi." Naruto's smile drooped slightly.

"What do you mean?" Kurenai turned around, her crimson eyes meeting Naruto's sky blue.

"I mean you are not mentally stable to be a shinobi. I, we, the entire village saw your reaction. A shinobi must keep calm during situations such as though, and you lost your cool and showed brutality. You ripped someone open, split them into two halves!" She took a step towards him.

"I've heard of you before then, the always positive prodigy! You preach about peace and not killing, and yet you go back on your word so easily and killed three Genin! I do not like you Naruto Namikaze because you are a hypocrite who has several severe mental issues that a Yamanaka ought to look at." She finished.

"Oh," Was all Naruto got out, the eleven-year old's smile was now reduced to a mere fraction of what it had been. "I guess you're right. That's why the village hates me. That's why Izumi won't hang out with me nor train with me anymore. I'm a monster in their eyes," He then grinned. "But I have Shisui-sensei, Kaka-nii, and Itachi as well as his family. I'm not completely alone, nor do I care what others think about me. 

"I appreciate the fact that you were honest with me, Kurenai-san. When we get back home, you can make a request to permanently stay off of a team with me. You will never have to work with me again." He walked past the teenager. 

"Tomorrow morning we shall meet at dawn to begin the crossing. Meet me at the shore, and make sure you inform Anko as well. Enjoy your night, Kurenai-san." And with that, he flickered away, leaving Kurenai alone to walk to the village. 

The crowd was bustling, the sheer amount of noise from such a small town surprised Naruto and he strolled the streets, holding several pieces of food in his hand, munching on each one, one at a time.