5

I woke up the next morning with a horrible hangover. I was back to my normal schedule at work. Hank had invited me over for dinner tonight last night. I accepted hoping to form a new relationship. He was pretty much all I had left. I looked at my clock and it was almost 3. I got up and showered. While in the shower a knock on my door rang out. I wrapped a towel around me and walked towards the door. I looked through the peephole to see Connor. What did that asshole want? I cracked the door open.

"What?" I snapped at him.

"Oh were you in the shower? My apologies. Hank spoke about a club he went to last night and it turned out to be the same one you work at. Were you working? Did he see you?"

"Who told him where I work!"

"I didn't. He said one of his friends had recommended it to him. The way he spoke about it, it sounded like he didn't enjoy it. I don't think he'll be going again."

I shifted my weight on my heels.

"He came right as I was leaving. He didn't see me. I ran into him at a bar last night."

"I know."

"You know?"

"He told me about it."

"Why?"

"He asked me if I knew any easy recipes for your dinner tonight."

I laughed.

"Old man doesn't even cook and he invites me over for dinner."

"He hasn't cooked in years from what I know."

"What did you tell him to cook?"

"I gave him a simple chicken alfredo recipe."

I scrunched my nose up.

"Ew."

"Would you not like chicken alfredo?"

"It's gross."

"I'm sorry for recommending it."

"It's not that big of a deal."

I realized then my door was almost completely open with me just in a towel. I pushed it almost all the way closed.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to come at a bad time."

"It's fine. I figured you told him so, I guess it's a good thing."

"Why would I tell him?"

"You're the only one who knew. If he knew you were pretty much the only way he'd know."

He nodded.

"I promised I wouldn't tell him and I intend to keep it."

"Thanks."

"Why were you drinking after work? It's not safe for someone to carry around large sums of money in Detroit, you could've been mugged."

"I have a taser."

"Still, you could've easily been attacked again."

"By an android."

"Not just an android, anyone could attack you."

"The only thing that could take a taser without being bothered is an android. Don't you get like more energy?"

"No, our skin absorbs it, but that doesn't mean a human can't over power you."

"Ok, are we really having an argument over this?"

"I just think you should be more safe when carrying around your tips."

"Connor, seriously. It's none of your business. I can handle myself."

I slammed the door and locked it. I started walking away and heard another knock. I went back to the door and swung it open.

"What?" I yelled at Connor.

"I didn't mean to upset you. Hank asked me to bring you this, he said you left it at the bar last night," he handed me my bracelet.

It was a gift from a girl who left right when I got the job at my club. She said it was a good luck charm.

"He also told me to tell you he knows who gave it to you," Connor said.

My heart drop.

"What?"

Connor looked at me.

"You're heart rate is rising. Are you ok?"

I grabbed my bracelet from him.

"How the hell does he know?"

"Know what?"

He fucking knows? What the hell. How did he know her? Did he go to the club before I started working there?

"Isabelle?"

I snapped out of thinking.

"I've got to get ready."

"What does he know?"

I closed my door. I felt bad, but I didn't feel like telling Connor about this. It wasn't his business. I quickly got dressed and did my hair. The clock hit 5 and I left my house. Hank was outside waiting for me. When I got into his car he didn't say a word. When we got to his house he led me in. The house smelled of burnt food.

"Fuck!" Hank shouted as he ran to the stove.

I looked at the blackened food in the pot.

"I figured I could leave it on while I picked you up to keep it warm."

"Hank are you an idiot? You could've burned down the house?"

I set the pot in the sink. I tried scraping out the food and only got some out. I sat the pan back in the sink and ran water. I filled it hoping the soaked food would lift with time. I turned to him and he laughed.

"Pizza?" He asked.

I nodded and he called a pizza place. I sat on his couch and pet Sumo as he greeted me.

"What's up old man, how are you doing?"

I smiled as I scratched behind his ear. He tried chewing on my bracelet and I pulled it away from him. I remembered what Connor said. Hank knew and he didn't say anything about it yet. When he got off the phone I looked at him with a serious look. His face turned to a frown.

"About the bracelet."

"Please tell me you're not a stripper," he sighed.

"How did you know her?"

"What do you think Isabelle?" He shouted.

"Don't yell at me Hank. I'm a stripper! Is it that big of a deal?"

"You're father would be so disappointed! He never would've wanted this for you. If you need money let me know, but you shouldn't be a stripper. It's too dangerous!"

"Dangerous? That's what you're worried about Hank? This has nothing to do with how dangerous it is. I'm not taking money from you and don't you dare bring him into this! Don't you dare Hank!"

"You can't think this is okay!"

"Well I do, it's my job whether you want it to be or not!"

He looked at me in disappointment.

"You can eat pizza by yourself. Let the pot sit overnight and try to pick the rest out."

"Isabelle," he muttered.

I left his house and slammed the door closed.