Chapter XXIII: Overwhelmed

"A man can be destroyed but not defeated." (Ernest Hemingway) 

"That's your plan!?"

"Well do you have any better ideas dumb ass?"

Hinata and Kageyama sat on Fukurodani's rooftop with their backs against the wall as they took cover from Shiratorizawa's sniper.

"So you want me to run around dodging bullets so that you can take him out? Why can't I be the sniper and you be the decoy this time?"

"Because I'm nowhere near as fast on my feet. You're the best decoy there is-- and I got your back."

Hinata's eyes sparked with excitement at Kageyama's words. Meeting Kageyama's eyes, he was filled with the immense amount of trust and confidence that Kageyama had in him. The two were rivals, but they also made a team to be feared of-- the freak duo.

"I guess if the king himself is asking for my help, I have no choice but to lend you my awesome abilities."

"Don't get too cocky dumb ass. All I need is for you to buy time so I can get a good shot. Can you buy me 30 seconds?"

Hinata nodded his head as he began to set down his weapons, in order to make him lighter. Kageyama noticed the immense concentration that was emitting from Hinata as he took deep controlled breaths-- his eyes wide open.

"Move on the count of three alright?"

Kageyama loaded his sniper and got into position.

"One."

Hinata crouched into a running position, ready to take off at Kageyama's word.

"Two."

The atmosphere grew tense as Kageyama lightly hovered his finger over the trigger-- the sound of his deep, concentrated breathing being the only audible noise in the area.

"Three!"

Kageyama was surprised as always at Hinata's incredible speed. He darted around the roof as bullets from the sniper flew past him. The short, speedy orange haired sniper worked as the best decoy, his mere presence pissing off all those who tried to land a bullet on him, including even Kageyama at one point in time. 

Just as Kageyama had hoped, the irritated Shiratorizawa member left himself exposed as he began to fire his shots more recklessly-- the annoyance of not being able to hit Hinata setting in.

Sucks doesn't it? Let me put you out of your misery for you. 

Pulling the trigger, Kageyama sent a bullet straight through the sniper's head-- ending his life immediately. 

"You sure took your time with that shot you asshole!"

"You're fine aren't you? Stop complaining so much."

Kageyama helped an out of breath Hinata back to his feet as he handed him his sniper rifle.

"Now's not the time to complain-- let's go check on the others. I've got a bad feeling about all of this."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kiyoko watched as the three boys fearlessly charged towards Semi and Yamagata, their strong backs facing towards her as they protected her. 

"Let's do this-- Nishinoya, Yamamoto!"

The three boys closed the distance quickly, forcing both Semi and Yamagata to resort to close hand combat. Tanaka took on Semi while Nishinoya and Yamamoto paired up against Yamagata.