Chapter Four: Julian

"She's good at swordplay, okay at throwing knives, but... horrible at shooting," Athena said. Scarlett was punching a punching bag.

"She claims she hasn't ever used a weapon, so she must have watched someone, or something."

I nodded. "Tell her to take a break for lunch."

I went down to the dining room to help prepare the table. Scarlett arrived, waking beside  Athena and covered in sweat. She and Athena were discussing a book. They sat down and didn't stop talking about the book until lunch was served.

After lunch I substituted for Athena and taught Scarlett some survival tactics until dinner time. We continued this way for two more days, then it was time to tell her what all the Competitions may have held.

"They are preparing you to be a queen. You will have to protect your 'kingdom'; you may have to fight with others... to the death. You may have to ally with others, and then betray them. Whatever's best for your kingdom. Not anyone else's. You strike first, okay? I can't tell you much more, I've never been in one myself."

I could tell Scarlett didn't like it. She didn't want to do it. I understood completely, even I dreaded the Choosing. What if I was Chosen? But I was prepared, I could survive. Scarlett wasn't, no matter what she had experienced.

<><><>

We (mostly Athena) continued training with Scarlett for a week, and Athena and Scarlett had seemed to grow closer, spending all their free moments together. The carriages that were to take us to the Choosing rolled up to the castle around afternoon just after lunch. Mother and Father were much to old to be Chosen or to even travel anymore, so it was just me, Athena, and Scarlett riding.

The Choosing Arena was a large, circular arena, with metal benches surrounding the concrete ground. The benches were almost full with young and old people alike, and it was difficult to find a seat on them; Athena, Scarlett, and I ended up standing up near the back on the highest row.

There was an old man, the king of the biggest kingdom, and a younger one, his son, the prince. The younger one had a spell on his voice, so it projected to where everyone could hear him.

"Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, young and old, to the Choosing Ceremony. As some of you may know, there have been many changes this year. One of which is the way of the Choosing. We will Choose three people, and the males and females will be mixed together. Next is the way of the Competitions. We will allow the deaths... It is to dangerous for us to intercept."

At this there was a large outburst of protest.

The prince continued as if nothing happened: "There will also be multiple winners, and they will have a time limit. They will have a month to protect their simulated kingdoms and make strong allies. After the month is up, the people of all kingdoms will vote for the winners. Three kingdoms at most will be chosen. The Choosing will begin shortly; make yourselves comfortable."

Scarlett was positively squirming nervously. Athena was murmuring softly in her ear. I kept my eyes forward, forcing my face into a blank expression. What else had they changed, and would Scarlett survive?

If she gets Chosen, I reminded myself. She may not. We could all just walk away from this safely without having to fight to survive... 

All of the audience was muttering to each other nervously and hugging their eligible children closely, as if that would protect them. Scarlett had started squeezing Athena's hand and whispering back. All of a sudden, I felt terribly alone. I'd always had Athena with me for these types of things. Now she was with Scarlett. I felt a bit jealous... But no. This was no time for jealousy... So I just stared at the center of the arena blankly and ignored everyone around me until the time came for the Choosing.

Some men rolled out 8 balls on wheels with parchment slips in them. Three of those slips in one of those balls had mine, Scarlett's, and Athena's names on them. We were the only people in this kingdom eligible... The only royals, I realized. Unless they changed the rules to where common villagers who were able to enter... we would be Chosen. I felt my face go pale.

"Thank you all for being patient. Now... One more rule change I must announce..." 

I hoped...

"A handful of villagers from each kingdom has been thrown in, to get Chosen. If they win, they and their family will get rewards, such as extra money...

"Anyway," he continued, "now it is time for the Choosing Ceremony. I do hope you're prepared. Now, let's start with Azreal's Choosing. No young princes or princesses live there, so only villagers got put in. The first one Chosen is..." He reached his hand into a ball and pulled out a slip of paper. "Remington Black."

There was a large section in Azreal's group sobbing; Black's family, I presumed.

"Next is Peter Wynd." More sobs. "Lastly, Donald Blusterson." Cheers this time. "Will you three come forward and join me down here please? Nicely, now... Thank you. Next, shall we do Yazock?"

He Chose three names out of there and proceeded to Choose from Wynger, Ocugant, Konjer, Nuteem, and Gyrock, and lastly, our kingdom, Myron.

"The first name is..." he reached his hand into the ball very slowly, Chose a slip very slowly, and very slowly read it.

"Julian Thorn!"

I choked. I knew I might have been Chosen, but I didn't really expect it. Athena looked at me and asked if I was okay, but my answer was drowned out my the next name Chosen.

"This one says... Scarlett Rose."

Scarlett went pale and looked like she was about to cry.

"This one is... Jacob Green. Will you three walk forward please?"

Athena was whispering things to Scarlett quickly before I grabbed Scarlett's arm gently and started walking down the benches.

Scarlett froze beside me. There was something going on down below us. Our kingdom messenger was talking urgently to the Chooser.

"Wait..." the Chooser's voice said. "What is this? Jacob Green, dead? We must Choose another one then..." He reached into the ball again painfully slowly. He read the slip. He paused so long the silence seemed to never end. Everyone was holding their breath, it seemed.

"It is Athena Thorn. Come down here, please."