Shattered Truths

Innocence.

What is the base of innocence?

Fallacy, personal truths, unprecedented fate.

Who then robs us of our innocence?

Our parents?

Our friends?

Our relatives?

Ourselves?

The answer is simple, within reach of our trembling fingers, yet an ocean prevents us from truly knowing it.

My head rotates constantly, like it is perched on an axis. I grip onto it with my fingers, internally screaming and pleading for it to just- stop.

I unsteadily walk to my bedroom, the door slamming into its frame as it closes behind me. Tossing myself onto my bed, I wonder if suffocation is an option. Why not just strangle myself until I can no longer gasp for oxygen?

The thoughts of his actions, his words suffocate me. They paralyze me. Rid me of the joys of living a peaceful life. Yet, I smile.

His calloused hands gripped my waist, trapping me against the bathroom wall. His other hand covered my mouth, trapping my screams and shouts of pain within my throat.

Mercilessly, he held my innocence in the palm of his hand. Threw it onto the ground, stomped on it like it was nothing more than a piece of paper. He ripped through my body, possessing it like an object. Possessing it in the way a man should his wife, yet I was nothing close to his wife or partner.

His sexual sounds filled my ear as he enjoyed me. Yet, all I could do was cry and scream— stop. He laughed at my suffering, continued tormenting me. Scaring me. Ruining me for anyone else.

I yell at my mind to stop, as it replays the events to me. I thrash about in my bed, tears drowning my pillow as I cry and cry and cry. I allow the negative ideas to consume me, immerse me.

I claw at the skin of my hands and thighs, I kick at the frame of my bed. I search for a distraction from the mental abyss in my head. Needing to feel a different sensation.

Who robs us of our innocence?

Our parents?

Our friends?

Our relatives?

Ourselves?

Another question I have is— Can I have it back?