Dear Thick Girl,

Dear Thick Girl,

I've never been the one to stand behind and watch people's bodies be criticized.

I would always defend what people referred to as "my kind."

Seriously? because a girl has extra skin she's not a human? Utter bullshit!

It was never an easy road being comfortable with yourself when people who you don't even know, want to have a say in how your life goes.

"Baby you're eating too much."

"You should cut down on your food."

"Girl, you're fat."

"You need to lose weight."

These may be just words to them but daggers to my stem.

Self confidence is my stem.

Without my stem I would be a girl with no power to stand her own; similar to a tree when it's cut down it becomes a pile of branches unable to stand upright.

Even the people I knew, those I grew up with, those who raised me criticized and belittled me.

Excluded me because I wasn't small enough.

There were only a few number of people who made me feel like I fit in but in bad times they didn't outnumber those who wanted me to be thin.

These people who watch me and say I eat too much have no idea how hard it is for me to just wake up and eat anything.

I could go days without eating but with the amazing people I surround myself with they wouldn't allow it to happen. Whether they prepare food for me or force feed me, they never allow me to starve myself.

I would look at myself in the mirror and always wonder how do these people ever see something beautiful when all I see is fat, dips and cellulite.

It's not easy to walk into your house or a family member's home and be called a cow.

A stop in the road.

Remaining self confident in a world full of people against your body size is one of the most difficult tasks you can face.

We live in a world where people want you to have big breasts and a fat ass but a flat tummy.

It must be some fucking fantasy world these people are living in.

What's their problem with degrading people because they have more skin, thicker thighs, broader waists?

Why can't we all just accept and love each other?

Why make someone feel bad for being how they are?

Why drive people to the point where they hurt themselves and try to change for the world?

Give people a chance to love themselves!

A chance to be comfortable in their own fucking skin!

You would never like it if you were in the position so don't do it to anybody else. That's disgusting!

Wake up every morning and decide that you're so fucking beautiful.

Start loving the things you hate the most first.

The dimples in your legs, the fact that you have abnormal knees or elbows, the love handles on your back and your pouch.

I learned to accept myself for who I was.

I started by not caring about what other people thought or had to say about me.

You shouldn't care what they think either.

My opinion was the only one that mattered.

Your opinion about yourself is the only one that should matter to you too.

The world is your stage.

You shouldn't care about the people who think they are so entitled to an opinion on what size or what kind of person you should be.

So what, you may have more skin it's what makes you who you are and you shouldn't give a fuck what anybody thinks.

You're a queen thick girl and I love you.

~S. Nzuri