EPILOGUE

I woke from my phone repeatedly buzzing on the nightstand. I squinted my eyes at the light my phone produces, and glanced over at my wife, her eyes remain closed. She whimpers a little, but the buzzing doesn't seems to wake her, fortunately.

I reached for the phone and bring it to my ear without question.

"Hardwin." My voice was thick, the person calling better have something valuable to say.

"Casper, it's Brad. We need you."

"What time is it?" I spoke into the receiver.

"Late. Apologies, but it's urgent."

"I swear to God, Brad, if I head over there now and it could've waited until morning I-"

"It's urgent." My colleague repeated.

"I'll be over as soon as possible."

I struggled out of bed, trying hard not to wake the missus up. I filled my palms with water and threw it in my face to open the heavy curtains of sleep and keep them at bay. I have a feeling this could be a long night ahead. I get the pants I wore today from th chair of piling clothes but decide to go for a freshly washed blouse.

I mindlessly walk downstairs and grab my shoes, coat, and car-keys and with that, I am out of the door.

"It all seems too similar." Brad discussed.

I nod along to what he's saying, though familiar and similar need to be carefully separated this time around.

"How many girls have they found dead?" I asked him to recall.

"Two so far – the police suspects this man knows about anatomy, they can tell by the way the bodies were. . . worked on."

"Did they die at the sight, or were they dropped? Is he. . . reckless?"

Brad sighed, "I don't know. They don't even have a suspect yet, no witnesses."

"Dropped it is, then."

Brad frowns. "How can you assume that?"

"Killing someone on the scene would create a hassle, Brad. People are unpredictable, even to serial killers."

It was Brad's turn to nod, and he did so violently. I could tell his hands itched to solve this.

I go on, "He wants these bodies seen, if he drops them. It doesn't seem like these young ladies were in his way," I inspect the photos in front of me, "he wants a message spread."

"Well, message spread. It's all the department can talk about nowadays."

My eyebrows knit together as I try to think hard. "Maybe he wants some other kind of engagement."

"Well, exposure he gets. Have you checked the news last night?"

"No, I haven't." I dropped the papers on the desk. "But we gotta be careful, can't have those lurkers around if we want to start a thorough investigation."

Brad nodded, then sighed. "Listen, all I know is, this family asked for you specifically."

"You know how busy it gets." I argued.

"I know, that's why I am here to discuss this now. I can take over some of the running cases you're working on. All so you can focus on this."

I inhale a sharp breath. "I don't know, man. It's a big risk and might lead nowhere. We don't even know if the body dropper is the guy that kidnapped that girl. I mean, it doesn't exactly look like this would be the kind of person who'd take someone after killing two already."