CHAPTER 18 - EVAN CLARK

Evan Clark, the night of the accident

Every night, I have a perfect routine. I come home from work, hang up my coat on the rack, my scarf as well, since it's so chilly outside this time of year. I take off my shoes and place them under the coat rack.

Then, I make my way into the living room, where my dog is waiting for me. I usually start the fire in the fireplace and after that, I pour myself a glass of red wine and make dinner for myself. I often look around my place, at everything I have achieved.

Everything is flowing together, everything responds to each other, everything is perfect.

My soup is heating up well, so I make time to take car of my dog. A bowl of fresh water and adding food to his other bowl. Every once in a while, I pet him over the head.

I never wanted a dog, but my sister had convinced me I was lonely, and needed some company after Liz left.

I make a mental note that I will call my sister this evening. She'll distract me from thinking about Liz.

After my dog is slobbering in his dinner, I'm ready to eat mine, and pour myself another glass. After the meal, I immediately take care of the dishes and wash my hands.

I sit by the fireplace and read a book, I have so many. It calms me after work. All those ignorant fools over there leave my mind. They all think they're so much better than me, talking about their wives, fiancées, and girlfriends. They do not understand minimalistic living. All they want is to flaunt their wealth, swooning ladies because they're doctors. They disgust me.

After reading for about an hour, I take the dog out for an evening walk. He's been begging for a good while now, and I have to step up and take care of this godawful creature.

The cold air hits me as I step off my porch. I glance down at the dog, still pleading to run around and do her deed. I take slow steps down, alert to the slippy surface and start my walk, which would be boring as ever.

This evening though, it was different than usual.

The smell of smoke entered my nostrils halfway through the forest. It wasn't from my fireplace though, the scent of gasoline also lingered around. I gazed around the forest, trying to decipher where it stemmed from. It must be a car accident, not far from here.

I fasten my pace, following the dog and my own sense of smell. We leave the shelter of the forest and arrive at the side of the road.

It's an old road, kind of a secret to people new in town and a dead-trap to anyone who'd drive over in this snowy weather. It runs straight through the forest. Sectioned off in two parts; one side falls under the city, the other belongs to the small town nearby. That is why most people don't know about this shortcut-of-a-road.

I see a car completely upside down and another crashed into a tree. I don't hear screaming, I have to get closer to get a good look, but I could be risking my own life – the car might explode. My head goes completely blank as I slope to the wreck. I crouched before the half-burning car.

I checked the front seat first. Two middle aged people hang lifeless in their seatbelt. There is blood covering their bodies and faces. The sight shook me, even though I'm a doctor, I had never seen something so horrid in my career.

I checked in the back and gasped as I saw a young girl, the most beautiful girl, hanging upside down. Her seatbelt claiming her to her seat. I don't hesitate, I crawl through the scattered window, and get my pocket knife out. I thank heaven I always carry that with me, just in case. A case like this.

I take a deep breath, the cold air keeping me sane despite the iron scent stuck in the air.
"Careful now, Evan. You don't want to harm her pretty little face even more." I tell myself.

I worm myself into an uncomfortable position underneath her. She needs a soft landing when I cut the seatbelt.

We are flowing together, our bodies respond to each other, she is perfect.

She blows the wind out of me when she lands on me. I check her pulse in her blood covered neck. She's alive, she's still warm. I have to bring her back to safety, she is my responsibility now.

I lean against the door that's stuck and take slow, deep breaths through my nose. This rescue attempt is getting the better of me. It feels so unreal, lying in a burning car with a girl in my arms. A girl needing a hero, a girl needing me.

Cold fingers wrap around my wrist and I gasp.
The other lady in the front seat is completely covered in blood, tears pooling in her eyes. This woman is almost dying, but it still looked different than the people I see dying in the hospital. This isn't painless. Her eyes, they will haunt me forever.

She looked at me, her eyes pleading as she mouths 'help.'

I nod, offering a friendly smile. I am holding her daughter in my arms, I am made to be their savior. But I never intended to be this family's hero.

"I'm getting her out." I tell the woman.

Her head moves a little, the pain her body causes visible in her expression. "Juliet." She whispers.

"Juliet." I repeat.

The woman closes her eyes and a tear falls on the roof of the car. My que to leave.

She must know I am not saving her. She knows I will take care of her beautiful, youthful daughter, who has every right to live.

Her parents are the ones that got her into this damned mess, and I am glad to have noticed the driver doesn't live anymore. They brought her in danger, and now I am getting her out. A girl like this needs protection and never leave my side.

I crawl out of the car, carrying Juliet in my arms. I stumble a long way until my body fails me and I trip, dropping Juliet's lifeless body in the snow.

I slide next to her, holding her face in my hands.

"Juliet, hey, are you okay?"

With slight movement, her fat, black eyes open in narrow splits, then close again.

"I got you, Juliet."

She shows a weak smile. All I need now is her belongings, then, we can get out of here.

I skimmed through the car, next to where I found Juliet. I see the buckle on her black purse glister and reach for it before walking back with rapid speed. I take up the wreckage in my vision, it's definitely going to explode we have to get out of here, fast.

My girl, who I left on the side of the road whilst grabbing her purse, was still completely knocked out. Blood covered her limbs and stomach, she isn't going to survive unless I do something.

I swing the purse across my shoulder and lift Juliet into my arms.

"Let's go home and check that body of you out."I tell the unconscious girl. 

There  you have it, Evan's POV of what happened the night of the accident and  how Juliet ended up in the clinic. I hope you liked this chapter! Let me  know if you did and don't forget to vote :)