CHAPTER 16 - CASPER HARDWIN

Casper Hardwin, 13 weeks after the accident

Jay's head is hanging over the bed, as she eyes me pacing back and forth her tiny bedroom.

"Would you just sit down," She rolls onto her belly, "we'll figure it out."

"That's what we've been saying for weeks! 13 weeks since everyone saw her last. 13 weeks wasted on making stupid plans to find her." I stress.

"Listen, I saw Clark like. . . 2 weeks ago, acting a little shady. I don't trust him, but Miller seems to trust him so. . . There is nothing we can do about it.

"What did you see, the night you called me, I mean."

"It was the day you were at the station, that night I saw him walking around town and since I just got off my shift, I walked past your parents' house. He was walking on the opposite end and stopped for a second, just looking at it. It gave me an eerie feeling."

"We might have to follow him. He says he's from around here but I have no idea where he lives."

"I don't think any of us do. Okay, so we know he works in the hospital in the city – we could start asking around there?"

"Hmm, I don't think they will give two teenagers private info."

"You know Yentl, what if you just tell a little lie to get her to you where he lives?"

"Like what?" I sighed.

"Tell him you want to personally deliver flowers to him to thank him for looking after your parents so well."

"That's suspicious, though."

"No, he's suspicious – he definitely knows something we don't." Jailah stated.

"Okay, so a plan. Maybe we should ask Miller to help us out here."

"His hands are tied, I think. It's best we go it alone. We can just follow him and check out where he lives. If Miller gets involved, and we're there, we can't just wave it off with an excuse."

"Tonight then, we will go to the hospital and see if he's working a shift. If not, we'll ask Yentl the address."

~~

There's something about hospitals I dislike with every bone in my body. Sure, doctors and nurses are working hard to help everyone get better and safe lives, but this is also the place my parents died in and my sister never reached.

After walking around for about fifteen minutes, Jay and I have come to the conclusion that Clark was either not working, or not on this floor. Luckily for me, Yentl was.

"And why do you need his address?" Yentl absentmindedly asked us while running her hands through some papers.

I eye Jailah, waiting for her to come up with a convincing lie.

"It's just that, my friend here, Casper. . . He'd like to personally thank doctor Clark for the good care. He hadn't. . . Had the chance."

Yentl looks up, straight into our pleading eyes. God, I just hope she cooperates.

"But, doctor Clark wasn't taking care of your parents – you must've mistaken him with doctor Brown."

Shit.

"It's not just that, Yentl. It's just that he's been. . . er, so involved in looking for my missing sister, Juliet. In passing, he always asked if he could do something for me and he was actively keeping his eyes and ears open, that's why I need to thank him. . . And discuss. . . Discuss with him that the case will be closing."