CHAPTER 10 - CASPER HARDWIN

Thank you all so much for constantly reading, voting, commenting and keeping up with the story! It means so much to me!

Casper Hardwin, 11 weeks after the accident

"I'm telling you, Miller, this man can't be trusted."

I'm pacing around Miller's office, rubbing my temples,  making the both of us crazy.

He crosses his arms in front of his chest and leans back in his seat.

"And what makes you think that?"

I shrug. "There's something about him. I'm not sure, he's just so. . . weird."

"So, because a man is weird, he's suspicious?"

"He said he's from around here, yet he hasn't head any news on Juliet's disappearance?"

Miller leans his elbows against the desk.

"That's a little odd, but we can't tie a case around him because he doesn't watch the news."

"Miller!" I looked at him with disbelief, "we have posters surrounding the town, every hour it's discussed on the radio, people talk at the grocery store."

"Casper, it's been 11 weeks since your sister went missing. . ." Detective Miller started.

"So? This man is a doctor, Miller. He should hear about it in waiting rooms, and on coffee breaks."

Miller takes a sharp breath, he stands up and buttons his blazer.

"11 weeks is a very long time, news like this unfortunately happens to die down. Especially coming from a small town like ours. Big stations just don't pick it up."

He walks over to his cabinet and takes out Juliet's file.

"We've had suspects, but not many. Just like you, they all had valid alibi's. Remember Logan?"

His remark takes me back to a few weeks ago. In the beginning they thought I was a suspect because I was closest to Juliet, a family member. Complete insanity, of course. I tried to make that clear to Miller as well, but he didn't want to exclude any possibilities.

"Okay, fine. Ask him to come 'round because you want to ask some questions."

"I'd have to do it casually, I can't just ask him to come here without a lead."

"You have a lead! He's a weirdo, that's it, that's the lead."

Miller laughs, "that's not a valid reason, kid."

"Please, see what you can do." I plead.

"You got it. Just wait out there, I'll call him in a sec, then I'll drive you home."

I just ended my phone call with Jay when I see that doctor enter the station, I don't know how Miller did it, but he actually got him to show up. Neat. I look at him through narrow eyes, but he seems to be actively ignoring me.

Miller swings the door to his office open.

"Thank you for coming on such short notice, mister Clark."

"That's doctor."

"Er, of course. Doctor Clark."

"Can I come in, too?" I asked detective Miller.

"No, Casper. I will take you home after we're finished."

"What's going on here? What's the kid doing here?" Clark stressed.