CHAPTER 5 - JULIET HARDWIN

Juliet Hardwin, 4 days before the accident

I run my hand through my hair and let out a big sigh. I glance over the dining table I'm sitting at, there isn't even a speck of wood that reveals itself from underneath all my papers, notebooks and laptop. Exams are going to be hell, and though I like to think I'm prepared, I know I should've started studying earlier – knowing this makes me hate myself even more.

My little brother, Casper, comes in through the backdoor. He kicks of his shoes and breathes heavy, as if he just got off his bike. His backpack, which contains his guitar, slides of his shoulders and softly lands on the floor behind him.

"Hey, slacker." He greeted me as I stare at his back, the guy has just arrived home and he's already grabbing a bag of Lays and canned soda.

"Hi, Cas. Aren't you forgetting something?" I gestured to his shoes, backpack and coat lying on the floor by the backdoor.

"I'll get it in a minute."

I stood up and walked towards him, "Mom and dad will be home – in a minute."

He nodded, "yeah, yeah."

He breaks open the can of soda and sits down at the table. I do the same, back to my torture, math.

"So when is your gig?"

His whole presence is distracting me from doing my work.

"Saturday, upcoming."

"Do you still need me to convince mom and dad to come see you?"

He stretches his arms up in the air, "I dunno." He let out a breath, "it's our first paid gig, but no big deal."

"I can tell it's a big deal to you, Cas. Let me do this for you."

His eyebrows knit together and he stares at the papers sprawled around the table.

"Aren't you supposed to be focusing on something else?"

"I can manage." I lied.

A dirty smirk is plastered on his face, "Okay, sis. Please get them to come. I'll pay for the tickets."

Casper stood up and started towards the staircase. With a pencil leaning against my lip, I try to focus on my math equations.

"Oh, by the way, I can't help you backstage Saturday, because I promised mom to help her out with painting the living room, so I'll just come with mom and dad."

"Okey-dokey."

Casper and I freeze when we hear the car driving up the driveway. I look at the clock in the kitchen.

"I told you they'd be back in a minute." I scolded my brother.

"I didn't know that minute of yours passed so quickly." He stressed.

"Get your things and go upstairs, you still have time. Now!"

Casper grabs his stuff and cradles it as he runs up the stairs.

"Stay up there, Cas. I'm trying something."

A single nod, and my brother is up in his bedroom. I wait until he's going to jam on his guitar, but I think him and I both know it's better he's quiet.

"Hi, dear." Mom comes in through the front door and dad follows.

They took the cold inside with them and my body trembles. Partly from the cold, partly from trying to convince my way-too-strict-on-my-brother parents to go to something he likes to do.