chapter 9 / legacy

Whitebeard's POV

How did I raise such a disappointing son? Not only did he kill one of his brothers, he sold out another one and dragged his entire family into war.

Did you succeed Meer? Rose? The sea rose?
Funny how we have known each other for so long and I still don't know you're true name. Well at least I'll go knowing that he will be in your hands my friend.
Be kind with him that boy has a fragile heart, scarred by the world.

One of my sons added onto those scars and that under my watch.

Rodger my old friend this is not the man you've been waiting for.
"It's not you..."

The One Piece is meant to be found by one who connects the will and legacy of the world, not one who rips it apart.

"The man Rodger's been waiting for..."
You look down on the world. Someday this will come haunt you.

"...at the very least, Teach..."
I hope my other sons will find resolve in their future.

"...it's definitely not you."
You're future has drifted into the dark, my son. What has corrupted you?

"Just like there are those who carry Rodger's will..."
You have proven that not a trace of such is truly left in you my son. Rodger's will is about spreading light not darkness.

"...I'm sure someone will appear to carry on Ace's will, someday."
I won't cry in face of the reality of your death, Ace.

"Even if you extinguish his bloodline, there's no way their flame will ever burn out."
You are now in the hands of the most mysterious and unpredictable creature I've met during my journey.

"It has been passed down since ancient times..."
Still I don't fear for your safety.

"and in the future..."
She will do anything in her power to keep our promise.

"...someday..."
She wants answers after all.

"...someone will appear, carrying the history of all those decades on his back, and challenge this world to a fight."
Why do we hate? Why do we kill?
I never had the answer. However...

"Sengoku. You guys at the world government all fear that immense battle engulfing the whole world that will eventually come."
I'm sure it will be revieled when that day arrives.

"I don't care myself..."
I won't personally carry whitness. I'm too old, too Ill.

"...but as soon as someone finds that great treasure..."
I wish for my sons to live to see that day in my stead.

"...the whole world will be turned upside down."
That's what you envisioned Rodger. A new world.

"And someone will find it."
I'm sure it will be for the best.

"That day will definitely come sooner or later."
A world where a brother turns against a brother. A world where a son backstabs his father. Such a world shouldn't be fate.
I can't do much. But I can help keep the fire burning that you ignited.

"One Piece..."
May the will lead my sons.
"...does exist!"

I only have one regret. I wish you could tell me whether you could save my son,...

"Y/N"

A familiar voice rang through the air. Still noone except me seemed to hear it.
"What?"
Then a well known figure appeared before me. Time had seemingly stopped. The world was silent. Nothing moved. Nothing seemed to be alive, except for  her and me.

"Hello Eddie."

"You..."

"Don't worry your son is saved."

Now finally I felt a tear run down my cheek. He is alive.

"You can rest in peace now."

"You-"

"It's Y/N. Don't worry I'll keep him save."

"Y/N-. Thank you."
I had many questions to ask this woman. To many to count. However I knew I wasn't permitted the time. She just looked at me with a smile, turned around and vanished. I never understood that woman and I never would.
Maybe you'll find her out Ace? You better tell me when we meet in the afterlife.

________________________

Lou's POV

"Thank you, Lou."
Y/N turned around closing the portal behind us.
"No worries. My body's screwed up anyways. I might as well use my powers as long as my awakened state lasts."

"You have no idea what this means to me."

"You're right I don't."
I swear how many years did I have to spend with this girl until she wasn't a mystery.
I looked at her attently catching a glimpse of a sad smile barricading the well of emotions that I had found behind that unreadable facade.

"You can cry now you know."
With that the proud woman before me crumbled to the ground, the pain of loosing another beloved soul tearing her smooth exterior to reveal another terribly frail mortal being.
Why do you keep getting attached to people of shorter lifespans when all it does is hurt you in the end?
I personally had never let anyone close to me before excluding Y/N and even that wasn't really voluntary. It happened over time.
Ironic that I don't seem to be able to control time that concerns myself.
I flew to the crying woman and hugged her to the best extend my tiny figure could manage.
"Hey, it's ok to cry. But I like you better when you smile. You stopped his pain. You should be happy to see him pass on in peace."

"Ace wasn't his only son you know. He loved all of them equally. A few hours ripped away thousands of loved ones."

"You did the best you could. Even you aren't all-powerful." Stop feeling the pain of the world. Isn't your own enough? That is what I wanted to tell her. However I knew it wouldn't change anything. I wonder what made you like this. What turned you into something time itself can't understand.