CHAPTER NINE

"You look great, Aya." you complimented, helping her sit down at your booth. Kwong's Cuisine was a very high-end restaurant, and luckily, Tenzin helped you get a table. "So do you, Jordan."

You thought you heard familiar voices come from the table next to you, but you brushed it off, starting small talk with Aya. "What were you doing yesterday? Like, there was colorful stuff of your apron. How did it get there? Was it paint?"

"No, no. I actually- funny story. I was- well, my friend Mako was hit with a bike, and he bumped into me. I spilled my shipment of dye, and since- well, it doesn't matter. Basically, I was making the dyes that I spilled when you came in." the guy with the familiar voice at the table next to you gasped, turning around.

It was Mako, and the girl who hit him with her bike. Figures. She looked filthy rich. "Damn. Mako, you don't look completely homeless. You clean up nicely, I'll be sure to tell Korra and Bolin." he rolled his eyes. "Yeah, yeah. Who're you with?"

You glanced at Aya, before making your decision. "This is Aya, my girlfriend. Aya, meet Mako, my... friend, I guess. And the girl who hit him yesterday." you introduced, and the girl from yesterday stood up, heading to your table. "I'm Asami. Mako's told me a lot about you!"

"I- uhh. Mako? I haven't known him for long. You two go back to your eating, we don't want to disturb you." with some more nudging, Asami eventually left, leaving you and Aya alone.

"So, girlfriend?" you froze, heat rushing to your face. "I- uhhh-" she giggled, placing her hand over yours. "No, no. I like it. I just didn't expect you to warm up to me so fast."

The rest of dinner went great. Asami and Mako didn't talk to you at all, and you learned more about Aya than you ever thought you would. She was fifteen, and she was a nonbender. Her family was all firebenders, and she was the black sheep.

"Well, goodnight. This was fun." you stared down at your... uhh... girlfriend? Was that too fast? You stared down at Aya, who was looking up at you with some form of- oh no. She was leaning in.

Her lips ghosted yours, and you pulled away, jerking her body away from hers. "I can't." you looked away. "And why not?" she stroked the back of your hand with her thumb, running comforting circles with the pad of her finger.

"I- I'm sorry. I'll see you tomorrow."

stan azula for mental stability