California Baby! Great right? Not really.

Chapter 10- California Baby! Great, right? Not really.

            "I'm Harold Greyson, vice treasurer of Gameflix. I'd like to invite you to audition for our newest video game commercial. We'll pay for the flights to and from California. We'll even pay for your apartment."

            My mouth stood agape, and I jerked my hand to clamp it shut. "C-California?" I asked shakily. "I'd love to. I just have to speak with my parents." I said, smiling.

            Mr. Greyson gave me a number to call when I'd made my decision. "Auditions are three days next week, and to make you have a chance in the commercial, you have to attend all three. You'll fly out on Saturday and come back on Thursday. Understand?" He asked me like I was a child. Well, I was, but what child would ever dream of starting a career this early?

            "Yes sir!" I practically screamed, and hung up.  "MOM!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. "MOM GUESS WHAT?!"

            My mom entered the room to find a very crazy little boy jumping up and down and spinning circles in her kitchen floor. "Who was on the phone? What happened?"

            "Mom. Mom. Mom..." I trailed off, trying to find my voice again to tell her the story. This was my big shot. MY opportunity. MY new life, and I was surely going to take advantage of it. I finally took a deep breath and spoke. "How would you and dad like to fly to California?!"

            "I'd love to, but..."

            "No buts, Mom. That was Harold Greyson from Gameflix, offering me a flight, apartment, and food for an audition in LA!" I started jumping again.

            "Oh my God! That's wonderful! I've got to call your father! You wanna talk to him?"

            "Of course I do, but I've got to call Kaylen first." I ran to find my cell and called Kaylen quickly. She answered after just one ring.

            "Taylor?" She sounded as though she'd been crying, and knowing that my mom would be telling her mom about the kiss pretty soon, I could understand why.

            "I got an offer! I'm going to LA!" I yelled into the phone.

            "That's... that's amazing! That's great!" Her voice pepped up a little, but not as much as I'd hoped. I told her the details and then said my goodbye.

My mom handed me the house phone. "It's your father."

"Dad!"

"Hey boy. Your momma told me what happened! I'm going to try my best to make it, just gotta change some schedules around..." I heard a clicking sound in the background, telling me that he was working with some sort of wrench.

"Good, dad." I felt a huge disappointment as I registered his last words, for it meant that he probably wouldn't be able to go with us.

"So, I've got a girlfriend now..." I said, knowing it'd been at least a few months since I'd talked to my father, and he hadn't even heard about Kaylen and me.

"I'd love to chat, but I'm kinda in the middle of something. I'll be talking to you."

"Love you, dad."

"You too, son." He hung up.

"Bye." I said uselessly, hanging the house phone up quietly. "Mom? Why can't dad ever seem to focus on anything fun?"

            "What do you mean? His job is fun."

            "Not for me it isn't." I looked back in my memories for the time when my dad had flown me around outside, tossed the football around, or even played soccer with me. I was surprised to find that those memories were almost blurry now.