Karate

Chapter 3- Karate

As I sat with my new crush on our secret log, I pondered why I had chosen her. Why had she been the one I'd befriended? Why was she the one sitting with me now?

Kaylen was pretty, smart, and had a bubbly personality. Why wouldn't someone like her? I thought.

I squeezed her hand tighter as I spoke. "You wanna see if we can go skating this weekend?"

"Skating?"

"Yea. The rink in town is awesome. My mom could take us. I'll bet she would." The idea was exiting to me now. I hadn't been skating in ages.

"Um... I can't skate all that well."

"So? Neither can I. We can just hang out. Play the games and win some prizes......" I trailed off.

"I haven't been in a long time." She said. "Sounds like fun." She looked up at me with a smiling face. There was nothing I liked more at this moment.

"Cool. I've gotta go anyway; my mom's taking me to my karate class."

"Oh, hah I forgot." Kaylen gave me a sweet smile."

"Yep. I've been taking classes for three years."

"Okay. Well, see you later." Kaylen said. I jumped over the log backwards, almost falling. I giggled at myself, and started heading back down the trail.

"I'll definitely ask my mom about skating! See you after my class!" I yelled, starting to jog. I glanced over my shoulder to see her smiling at me. It didn't look like she was happy about me leaving, but how could I stay with her forever?

I thought I heard her weeping as I left.

Mr. Halstrom smiled at me. "Taylor Lautner; my favorite student." He clasped his hands in front of him, still beaming. I stared at him like he was crazy. My mom had stayed in the office in front of the room, so she wasn't here to laugh at me, thankfully. "You're early." He dragged his words out, as always. Mr. Halstrom was Swedish, a very strange thing for a karate teacher. But he was good, and he liked me.

In his strange accent, he spoke again. "Not talking to me today, boy?"

I still stared at him blankly. "Guess not. But you're early. Lets' get started. Your mom pays me well, and I'm not letting time waste. Warm up." He clapped his hands twice, something that used to get on my nerves... but, after three years, it was bearable.

I walked into the locker room and changed quickly into my karate uniform. I wrapped the green belt around my waist, and finally walked out. The huge blue mat was empty and waiting. No one else had shown up, though I'd thought the class started in about fifteen minutes. At any rate, I was ahead of everyone else.

I began my stretches. I pulled my left leg up to my hip, stretching it loosely, feeling the muscles tense. It felt wonderful. I did the same thing to the right leg, smiling as the muscles tensed there also. I completed twenty push-ups; stretched my arms, pulling them across my body, and finally announced that I was done.

Mr. Halstrom walked over to the mat, smirking. "Let's go."

I backed away from him, smiling. If I'd learned nothing else in my years in karate, it was that Mr. Halstrom could really pack a punch. I measured my options, seeing and wondering where and when he would strike first. He lunged, and then jumped back.

I prepared myself.

Mr. Halstrom couldn't be more than five feet tall, and I was four and a half, so this was a pretty even match up. Finally, he kicked out his left leg, and I blocked it with mine. He jumped back, spinning to aim for my face. I kicked my foot up over my head and blocked his fist.