Audition

Chapter 8- Audition

I walked through a field of flowers, laughing, and giggling. The one I'd always loved was by my side, and I'll bet anyone with an even mind could know who that was.

Except me. 

I couldn't remember the person I'd loved for so long, not to say I didn't love her anymore, I just couldn't place her name. I took her wrinkled hand, looked at her with longing eyes, and spoke. "I love you." I said sincerely. I was trying to hide the fact that I couldn't find her name in my crazy, muddled mind.

"I love you, too." She said with a smile, but behind it, in her eyes, was an empty longing. As if, she knew I was never coming back. From where, I would never know. Despite this, I couldn't help but try to remember all the times we'd spent together. With a fright, I realized there weren't any. I loved this woman, with all my being, but I couldn't remember ever being near her.

How could we be so deeply in love (I knew she was, for I could see it in her eyes), and not have spent time together? My mind was gone, I decided. Why can't I remember?

"Why can't I remember!?" I screamed at her.

"Remember what?"

"Anything!" I jerked her arm to me, crying. My lips found hers, trying to satisfy the unneeded longing, trying to make sure she was real. She pulled back quickly, showing a concerned manner.

"You.... know me?" Her eyes filled with elation, and I felt very strange very quickly.

"No." I paused from my crying, filled with curiosity at her concern about my thoughts. "But I feel like I should."

            "You should." She repeated, smiling now.

"But I don't." I grabbed both sides of my head and moaned. "I love you though. Always have, and always will."

I turned to my left, seeing something shine, and realized the field had now turned into a lake side. Salter's Lake. I could recognize this, even in my muddled state.

I looked at my lady's eyes, realizing how old we'd become, and suddenly she and our background faded.

I awoke with a shock, staring at the ceiling for a few minutes, getting my bearings. I've always had weird dreams when I'm nervous. I'd guessed, and hoped that was what is was: Just my nervousness.

I'd loved visiting Salter's Lake ever since I was little. It was great to see the swans in the late spring, the dragonflies that never ceased to buzz by your head. And of course, fishing was plus. Another one of my girl-ish traits: Enjoying nature. It wasn't like hunting was my passion. I enjoyed the 'homey' sounds more than anything else.

            I figured it would be useless to get dressed if I wasn't going out until around three today. If Kaylen was coming over... maybe I would. But hey, when wouldn't I get ready to see my girlfriend? The thought made me feel all 'warm and fuzzy'. I smiled as I pulled my groggy head off my pillow and trotted into the living room.

            The clock on the wall read 10:04. I'd slept late, and was surprised my mom hadn't woken me up. She was still asleep. My mom was just one of those people. Dad was working today, so I guessed he'd be home later. I missed the sounds of him moving around in the garage on a Saturday morning. His stupid job had him working on weekends now, sadly.

            My dad's job was if anything: profitable. He worked with construction and mechanics. It was rough for him to have two different parts to a job. But the construction and the mechanics were with the same company, and my dad loved that.