School

Chapter 5- School

My alarm sounded and I smacked the snooze button. I groaned and rolled over, pushing the pillow over my ears. I heard my mom yelling at me to get up, and I tried to ignore it. It was Thursday, which was not my favorite day of the week.

After a few minutes, I got up to take a quick shower. I tousled my hair just like most girls liked. Too bad I didn't really care what the other girls thought. I only cared about Kaylen.

The thought made me smile. Kaylen was all that mattered.

I stared at myself in the mirror. My face had always been acne free and tan, but my cheeks curved in a childish way. What kind of girl wants a 'kid' as their boyfriend? Older looks equal more maturity: I had decided that a long time ago (ironically, around the time I met Kaylen). My clothes weren't a problem. I looked mature, I realized as I backed away from the mirror, but my figure did not. I shrugged that off, guessing that my day would come soon.

My hair was in great shape today, but it wasn't the way Kaylen liked it most. The topic had come up a few times before. I finally heaved a sigh and combed it so that it was spiked. I knew Kaylen liked that. I was finally satisfied with my looks, so I grabbed my book bag and headed out to the bus stop.

I smiled when Kaylen walked down her driveway, staring straight at me. "Hey," I breathed. She was wearing a cute blue-green Holister sweatshirt and jeans. I stiffened in surprise when she grabbed my hand.

As a seventh grader at Mercy Ridge Middle, I was at the top of the food chain, so to speak. My sports included soccer, football, basketball, and wrestling. Of course, I couldn't do that many sports in one year. I stuck to football and wrestling this year. My grades were good, mostly A's and B's. Therefore, I'd earned my place as one of the most popular kids at school.

Kaylen, however, was not. My friends never understood the connection between us, and that was okay. Kaylen enjoyed the attention of my friends... she was cute, after all. It didn't matter to me that Kaylen wasn't in the 'cool' crowd. It had never mattered. Again, my mind wandered back to that fact: Nothing mattered but Kaylen.

We stepped off the bus at school, and I grabbed Kaylen's hand again. This was normal for us, but ever since a few days ago, it meant more when I did this. Was it because we both realized how much we liked each other? Or because I had just been thinking about how much she meant to me? Whatever the reason, her hand felt so much warmer in mine that usual.

Dylan smiled at me when he saw us. He gave me a good handshake. "Heard you're auditioning for that commercial. Why?"

What did he mean by that? A jock couldn't audition and try to have an acting career? "Because, I thought it would be fun." I said. That was the truth, but not all of it.

"But man, you know you've got your whole martial arts thing ahead of you. Why would you..." Dylan paused thoughtfully. "One day, you'll have to choose." He eyed Kaylen as he spoke. Whatever the message he was trying to send, I didn't get it. I shrugged as we walked to class.

My first three classes (the ones before lunch) were without Kaylen, as I had tried hard to forget. I walked with Kaylen to her locker quietly, seeing nothing really, just watching the faces flow by me. Kaylen finally stomped her foot. "Why are you ignoring me?"

"I... wha-?" I snapped out of my daydream. "I wasn't ignoring you."

"Then what do you say?"

"What do I say to what?"

"Ugh. You. Are. Impossible." She turned to stomp away. Before I could think, I grabbed her and pulled her back.

"Wait! I uh... wanted to tell you something."