Animal Shelter (chapter 19)

Kara's POV

We all slept in our finished basement. I fell back asleep around 2:15 am. My dad and Carlos slept on the floor on yoga mats and pillows for their heads. My little brother Tyler and I slept on the two recliners. My mom slept on the couch with Rosie.

I woke up at 8:00 and when I went upstairs I saw my dad watching the news and at the same time watched Carlos as he made pancakes. Now I was not really annoyed with Carlos getting up before me because breakfast would nearly be ready by the time I woke up.

"Good morning." I said

"Good morning." Carlos smiled and winked at me. I thought my dad would say something like "I saw that" or something else but he didn't say anything. I looked over at my dad in the recliner positioned so he could see the tv and the kitchen.

"Good morning Kara." He said he'd smiled at me. I went in there with him and sat on the couch. The tv started to say something about our college and my dad leaned forward in his recliner.

"Oh my mistake Carlos, the break was published back to 3 weeks, not four weeks." My dad said. We will stay at my parent's house for the rest of the first week and then fly back to California, as originally planned so we can go back to our college to help out with the mess. Then Carlos's parents will visit for a little and stay in a hotel.

"While we were still here Carlos I wanted to take you to the animal shelter where I used to volunteer at. All of the people there know me." I said

"Cool, sounds fun." He didn't sound too enthusiastic about that. I heard my dad move his chair so it would face the kitchen.

"What's wrong?"

"I just don't like how they put down the poor animals if they have been there too long."

"Oh this is one of the only shelters that don't put down animals."

"Oh ok. Then. I would like to go there more now." In a few more seconds Carlos said "Bon appetites" and set breakfast on the table. I got the butter,strawberries, syrup, and powdered sugar of and put them on the table. Tyler and my mom came down and sat at the table. All of a sudden Tyler's, my phone, and my mom's phone went off. I looked at my phone. It was a group message between mom, dad, Tyler, and I. It read

" I watched him make it all morning it's not poisonous.

-DAD "

I just sighed and laughed. Tyler just started cracking up. My mom said "Honey, that's just...ugh." My mom started laughing too.

I would hate to be Carlos right now, being the only person at the table not knowing what was going on.

So after breakfast me and Carlos got ready to the animal shelter. I drove my mom's car. It was about 10 minutes away and filled with 10 minutes of singing along to the radio. When we parked right outside Carlos said "shit, this place is so small."

"On the outside it is; inside its like a maze." We walked on in and a few seconds later a woman walked up and said "Kara is that you?!?"

"Yes, Darla it's me." Darla was like my adult best friend from when I used to volunteer here. She also owns this place. she ran over and gave me a hug.

"I've missed you so much." She looked over at Carlos and whispered to me "is he famous? I'm getting some kind of vibe."

"Yeah he's Carlos Pena from Big Time Rush, he goes to my college and is in all off my classes." I whispered

"Oooooo" Darla whispered back. "You are allowed to go give him a tour around. Fell free to help out."

"I was hoping that you would say that." I said "See ya around."

"See ya."

I went over to Carlos to start my mini tour. It was hilarious when Carlos got lost 7 times.

"How do you do this without a map or something, seriously?!?" Carlos said. I would just laugh and continue. We started with the boring stuff first and lastly the good stuff. The cats and dogs were broken up into different rooms. The dog room was the biggest, of corse.

I asked Carlos "Ddo you want to get one out and play with it?"

"Yeah." He walked around a little and stopped at the golden retriever. "This one." He pointed at it like a little kid. And then skwinted. "Rusty."