29

amelia walked out. meredith, owen, link, alex, jackson, and maggie sat outside the room- shaking and holding each other.

"how is she?" alex yelled, standing up. the rest of their friends stood up after him.

"well, she coded. we uh, we got her heart rate back but it's not looking good. she's breathing through a vent right now. we won't know how much brain activity she still has until she wakes up. but i'm not sure that will happen. she's not showing any signs of brain activity or of her being able to breathe on her own. i'm uh, i'm not sure what will happen." amelia sighed.

"amy," link started. "you need to tell your daughter."

amelia sighed. "i know."

"and we need to tell bailey arizona and nico and andrew." meredith said.

"i know." amelia sighed again.

"hey mer," andrew called. "i've been looking for you. today's been hectic."

meredith opened her mouth to talk but tears came streaming down her face.

"what's wrong? meredith what's wrong?" he asked, running over to her to hug her.

"it's paige. she was brought in in the accident and her brain is... she... you have to come. andrew, right now."

the two ran towards the icu, catching stares from everyone in the hospital.

"oh my god." andrew said looking at her.

"hey, levi." nico said, walking in the room. "what's going on?" he asked when he realized everyone's faces were tear stained.

"nico," levi started, putting a hand on his shoulder. "it's paige."

"w-what?" is stuttered.

"the girl on the bed, it's paige."

"w- no. no it.. it can't be."

"nico." levi sighed.

"well that's two down." amelia said, looking at andrew and nicos sad faces.

amelia realized that paige really was loved. people here really did care about her. this was her home. and if she doesn't come back, she's not sure what would happen. this hospital has suffered too much loss already. they can't go through this again.

alex walked up to the nurses station to grab his charts. arizona stepped up to him. "hey. the girl in bed five is complaining of stomach pain, will you consult her?"

"yeah sure whatever." alex said.

"what's up with you?" the perky blonde asked.

"nothing. i'm.. fine. i'll go do that consult now."
alex slowly walked into the room, he knew he needed to tell arizona, but he couldn't bring himself to do it. he hates lying to her, but he doesn't know how to say it.

"hey kid, i'm dr. karev." alex said, entering the kids room.

"are you the police?" the girl whispered.

"what?"

"can you call the police?"

"what are you talking about, kid?" alex asked, kneeling down next to her bed.

"my mom and i were driving. and this guy starts driving crazy and he runs right into this other car, i think he killed the person in the car. he hit it really hard. and then all these other cars crashed and when the sirens came he got out of his car and ran away cause he didn't want to get in trouble, or that's what my mom says."

"okay, the police are looking for him."

"but he's here."

"what? he's in this hospital!" alex shouted.

"no. he's on this floor!"

alex looked around. "show him to me." he bossed. the girl pointed towards a chubby man in a black jacket. alex ran out of the room and right towards the man.

"crazy son of a bitch." he shouted. he grabbed the man by his shirt and shook him. he took punch after punch to the mans face. the man threw alex to the ground and got on top of him. hitting him and hitting him over and over again.

arizona ran over. "alex! alex stop! what's going on?" she yelled.

nurses pulled the two men off of each other and alex looked at arizona. "he probably killed her." he whispered.

"who?" arizona said, but alex didn't answer. he bawled into arizona's shoulder. he buried his head in her neck and stayed there for a long time.

amelia took a deep breathe as she walked into the neuro lab. betty practically jumped out of her chair when amelia walked in.

"hey!" betty said energetically. "i found a man with two brain bleeds. two! and i saved him and he's talking and and moving and.." bettys expression changed as amelia started to cry. "what's wrong?" she asked.

"sit down." amelia said. "i don't know how to tell you this."