17

paige barged into the locker room with a big smile on her face. she was about to take the final test to find out if she passed or not. this was going to be the most exciting test of her life. she felt overwhelmed with happiness, and fear. whatever happened she would have people here to support her.

"come on everyone! today is gonna be a great day!" she yelled at her very tired co workers. she knew she needed a positive attitude if she had a chance and passing this test.

"shut up." jackson complained. "not all of us got to sleep for 15 hours last night."

"yeah why are you so happy?" meredith pitched in. "you still have drugs in your system."

"no. hope not." said paige smiling. everyone looked tired and empty. it was only seven in the morning, but today was already off to a great day. "alright everyone, do something amazing today! grey whatchu got today?"

"wilson and i have a gastronomy at eight."

"great go. save someone's life!" paige smiled as she watched meredith and jo walk out of the room. she knew everyone was confused, but she needed today to be good.

"avery?"

"i have a facial trauma repair and then i'm working the burn unit."

"good job avery, fix peoples faces! make them pretty!"

"shepherd?"

"i don't have surgery til this afternoon so i can take a nap."

"no you can't. cover the pit or help in the ER. if people die because you were asleep then today isn't good anymore. today needs to be good." paige felt a buzz on her waist. she reached her hand down and grabbed the small black pager off her belt loop. "multi car pile up coming into the emergency room. come on everyone. let's go save some lives! we got this!" she screamed and smiled. "everyone go go go! and for the love of god, SMILE!" she shouted out the door.

paige, owen, april, jo, alex, and meredith stood outside the hospital in yellow trauma gowns.

the paramedics stepped off the ambulance and walked toward hunt. "it's one of our own." she said.

"what?" hunt asked. paige stepped towards the two and saw ben warren on the gurney. she felt her heart sink. hunt stood still so paige grabbed the end of the gurney and helped pull him out.

"he's systematic and hypertensive. vitals lost in the field."

"okay." paige yelled. "get him into a trauma room. book an OR. hang o-neg and page shepherd and pierce." hunt walked off with bens gurney.

"dr. meyers." the paramedic said from behind her. paige turned around and saw baileys son, william bailey jones, or tuck as they called him. paige was shocked. she had just hung out with tuck a few days ago, and now he was laying lifelessly on a gurney in front of her.

"pulse is weak, no respiratory rate. obvious trauma to the head and chest." the paramedic read off.

"o-okay. get him in trauma two and page robbins and lincoln. get nurses and interns on stand by and lots of blood. tell OR three we'll be ready for them." paige shouted, pushing the gurney into the hospital.

"let's get in a central line." april said. paige stared at her friend, he was so lifeless. if the monitor hadn't been on she would've though he was dead. she stuck an iv into his arm slowly, even though he couldn't feel it.

"lets get him to the OR to stop this bleeding." april yelled, pushing the gurney away. paige watched as the doctors pulled her friend away on the gurney, she realized her friends could die today, and she needed to make sure that didn't happen.
"paige, you okay?" alex asked, walking up behind her. paige let the corners of her mouth from into a smile. she tightened her ponytail and took off toward the elevator.

"today is still gonna be a good day!" she shouted at alex.

"where are they?!" bailey shouted, running to the OR floor. paige was carrying blood from the blood bank to bring to bens room. she stopped suddenly and looked at bailey.

"is that for my son or my husband?" she asked. paige didn't know what to say. she looked at doctor bailey and sighed, she knew. tears formed in baileys eyes.

"please!" she cried, grabbing onto paiges arm. "you have to save them! you have to let them live!"

"i'll do everything i can doctor bailey. we can do this. we've got this. today is still going to be a great day." paige took the blood into bens room. as she entered, she heard the monitor start to go off.

"he's coding!" shepherd shouted.

paige handed the blood to the resident and looked at ben. "today is still going to be a good day." she whispered. "please god let today still be a good day."

paige, betty, and there friends stood next to tucks bed in the icu. he had been out of surgery for exaclty 47 minutes. he could wake up any minute. he could wake up in twelve hours. he could not wake up at all.

"guys?" tuck whispered groggily.

told you, any minute.

"hey little tuck." said paige. "how you feeling?"

"good. i want my mom. how's ben."

"your moms on her way up, we don't know about ben yet. he has a brain injury so we're not sure."

"betty! your going doing neuro, right? your the best neuro surgeon. go do something!" he shouted.

betty walked out, confused. paige redirected her attention to tucks monitor and then to his face. "i need you to calm down." she said quietly. "or you'll make your heart go crazy again. just breathe. we're gonna bring ben back. today is still gonna be a good day."