Lost You On The Way Down - Sergio Agüero

Requested by my officially entitled habibi ( KingMessi ) I'm posting this earlier than when I usually update (aka on Thursdays or Fridays) because you've already waited too long, hope you like it

______________________________________________

Sergio woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of his cellphone buzzing on the nightstand. It took him a few seconds to shake off the haziness of sleep, rubbing his eyes and running a hand through his hair. He rolled on his bed to grab the phone from his bedside table, mentally cursing at the person who was calling him in the middle of the night while he had to wake up early the next day... or in a few hours, judging by the time.

It took a few seconds for his eyes to adjust to the sudden brightness of his screen and that's when he froze seeing the name indicated by the caller ID.

A mix of apprehension and surprise took over Sergio as he pressed the phone to his ear.

"Hello?" he said, unsure of what tone to adopt.

"Sergio..." a feminine voice breathed slowly "I..It's Alya"

Sergio furrowed his eyebrows; her voice cracked at her last words and was punctuated with frequent sniffles. He could clearly tell she was crying. A bad feeling took over his guts as he tried to adopt a soothing tone.

"Alya.. Is something wrong? What's going on babe?" he stuttered feeling a lump form in his throat.

"I'm so sorry for... for calling Sergio I... I" she couldn't even finish her sentence before the sobs took over and she broke down completely.

Sergio could only hear the sound of her crying and it broke his heart. Even if he and Alya had broken up over a month ago, he still cared immensely about her. This was the first time they talked in weeks and it felt comforting to hear her voice again. But he never thought she'd call him like that, out of the blue, in the middle of the night, crying so hard she could barely even speak.

"Aly tell me what's wrong " he pleaded, apprehension and worry filling his voice.

"My... my mom just passed away" she managed to say before bursting into more tears.

Sergio opened his mouth but no words would come out, it felt like his brain short-circuited and needed to be rebooted. But on the other end of the line, Alya was still crying harder than he'd ever seen her cry.

"My..my mom is dead Sergio," she repeated sobbing, as if she couldn't get the words to sink in just yet "She just died... less than an hour a..ago."

Sergio tried to compose himself from the shock of her announcement "Aly... Oh my god I'm sorry, I'm so sorry..."

She kept sniffling until she managed to mutter "I know we broke up but... but can you p..please come, I'm at the hospital... please Sergio... please... I need you right now."

Sergio felt his heart ache from how broken she sounded. He knew she had no one else in the world and couldn't imagine how alone she felt. Without thinking twice he quickly got out of bed to slip a shirt on.

"I'm on my way baby don't worry" he said assertively while quickly making his way out of his bedroom.

"P...please hu..rry up" she stuttered trying hard to fight the sobs that were shaking her all over.

"I'll be a fast as I can" he promised before grabbing his car keys from the console table of the lobby.

---

Sergio burst through the hospital doors and rushed toward the reception desk. He spent long minutes shouting at the nursing staff to find out what he needed. They finally indicated him a specific floor and department where he hurried to find Alya.