Chapter 7 ~ Betrayed Part 2

Despite the guilt Ginger felt she sent of her copies of the police files to The Daily Mail. Even though her boss was very pleased with her and she got extra pay, she didn't feel happy. Her boss told her he wanted her to stay on in Kembleford to get a good story on suspected suicide of Mr Anderson.

1 week later

Ginger trotted down the stairs in a gorgeous baby blue dress.

"Oh hello Ginger." Lady Felicia greeted her sitting at the kitchen table next to Mrs McCarthy.

"Where's the Father and Sid!" Ginger asked confused.

"Looking for clues on the suicide of Mr Anderson, I keep telling him it's not a murder but he won't listen!" Mrs McCarthy spoke whilst making her award  winning Strawberry scones.
Ginger laughed.

"You look very cheerful today Ginget, whys that?" Questioned Lady Felicia.

"Oh the newspaper will arrive today or tomorrow with my article in!" Ginger exclaimed excited yet still feeling guilty.

"And your staying on here to do another story?" MrsMCarthy asked.

"Yes I am, my boss wants me to look into suicide case."

"And no doubt the Inspector will help you?" She replied sarcastically.

"Don't be so cruel Mrs M!" Lady Felicia protested." Ginger loves the Inspector very much, any fool can see it, and he loves her even more. She would never use him to get information!"

Ginger felt like she was going to be sick when she heard this. The guilt was unbearable but she had to do her job, she decided she finish this new story then decide whether to end things with Sullivan or not. But for now she was going to see him to get the latest information, its was just business after all.
"I must go now ladies, I'll see you later." She waved and left the house and walked to the police station.

When she arrived Goodfellow was just coming out of Sullivan's office.
" Hello." She spoke friendly" What you got there?"

"Oh its Mr Anderson's suicide report , we're sending it to get analysed. We don't think it's his handwriting."

"So it could be murder then?"

"Very possibly." He replied. Ginger nodded and then knocked on Sullivan's office door.

"Come in!" His voice was angry. Ginger quickly went in shutting the door behind her.
Sullivan had his hands in his pockets, looking outside the window, he didn't look at her when she came.

Ginger walked towards him and wrapped her arms around his neck and began to kiss him. However to her suprise he didn't react  at all. He just stood there, with his hands still in his pockets.
"What's wrong Tom?" She mumbled kissing his neck lightly.
"Get off me." He said with no emotion.

"Why?" She groaned still holding him, this time kissing him again, more passionately, gently tugging his bottom lip.

"This is the last time I'll tell you Miss Clark, get off me."  He spoke more sternly, and looked down at her angrily.

" Please Tom tell me what's wrong?!" Ginger spoke pulling away from him.

"Its Inspector Sullivan to you."  He said in a disgusted tone of voice.  She looked at him even more confused.

Sullivan walked over to his desk and took a deep breath before slamming the newspaper down on his desk with considerable force, causing Ginger to jump frightened.

"WHAT'S THIS!" He shouted at her.

"I don't know what you mean..." She stuttered feeling very afraid because she knew when Sullivan lost his temper, he really lost his temper!

"DON'T TELL ME YOU DON'T KNOW, YOU DO!" He shouted again walking over to her. "YOU PUBLISHED EVERYTHING THAT WAS IN THE POLICE FILES ON THE TWO MURDER CASES! YOU STOLE THAT INFORMATION FORM ME WHEN I WAS DRUNK, AND I SUSPECT YOU PROBABLY DRUGGED ME TO!"

Ginger stood there silent, she always knew this was going to happen eventually.

"YOU LIED TO ME AND USED ME!" He screamed pushing her against the wall.

"I'm... I'm sorry Tom." She stuttered looking at him.

"NO YOUR NOT, YOU NEVER LOVED ME!"

"I do Tom, I do love you!" Ginger cried putting her hand on his chest.

"DON'T TRY ALL THAT AGAIN!" He shouted, harshly grabbing her wrist.
Ginger screamed in pain.

"I WISH SO MUCH THAT I NEVER SAVED YOU AND THAT THE MURDERER WAS SUCCESSFUL AND KILLED YOU!"

"You don't mean that!" Ginger shouted back.

" I DO MEAN IT, I WISH YOU WERE DEAD."
Ginger burst out crying and went to run out but Sullivan grabbed her by her hair and slammed her against the wall again.

"You know what you are don't you." He said coldly in her ear." You're a slut."

Instantly all the fear went out of Ginger and she was filled with anger.

" DON'T YOU DARE CALL ME THAT AGAIN!" She screamed turning around and scramming Sullivan hard on his cheek causing him to bleed.
He looked up at her shocked, touching his bleeding cheek.

"ROT IN HELL!" She screamed then marching to the door leaving him empty and lost for words
She flung the door open and there was Father Brown and Sid listening at the door.
They both jumped back.

"Ginger what exactly-"

"Oh leave me alone Father!" She cried before running off.

Sullivan sat back at his desk
and put his head in his hands groaning.

"There was no need to call her that." Father Brown said looking at him disappointed.

"I know Father, I wish I hadn't now but like everything I've done, it's to bloody late!"

"You know what I think?" Sid spoke up sitting down.

"Oh what now!"

"I think Ginger does really love you but she is trying to resist it."

"I agree." Said Father Brown." You need to make amends with her."

" I'll see her tomorrow but in the mean time I need to work on this possible murder case."

The next day

Ginger  reluctantly got up out of bed and stared at her type writer. She didn't want to do any work that day, all she could think of was Sullivan and how she betrayed him. She slowly got dressed and went downstairs for breakfast. The Father was sitting at the table.

Suddenly there was a loud knock at the door. MrsMCarthy answered, as soon as she opened the door two tall policemen followed by the Inspector burst in.

" Where is Miss Clark?" Sullivan spoke sternly.

"What's wrong?" Ginger said coming out of the kitchen and into the hall.
Sullivan turned to face her.

"Ginger Clark I am arresting you on the suspicion of the murder of Mr Anderson, your mother obliged to say anything but anything you do say will be taken down in evidence and used against you!"

"What?!" Ginger said shocked.

"Inspector you are making a terrible mistake!" Father Brown spoke sternly.

" Mr Ansburys suicide note was in Gingers handwriting, she could have easily stolen the key to his cell, gone in and killed him."

" Surely Ginger isn't strong enough to kill a big man like Mr Ansbury?" Laughed Sid.

" Don't be so sure." Sullivan replied glaring at Ginger. The town policeman handcuffe her and led her out to the police car.

"Please help me." She mouthed looking at Sullivan with fear in her eyes.

"I'm sorry." He spoke getting into the police car with her." There's nothing I can do."

"Rot in hell." She whispered handcuffed in the backseat.