Chapter 22

"I was expecting this"

"Seriously?" I asked rolling my eyes as I slipped in the front seat. Honestly, I thought I was going to surprise Erik but I might have blurted something out in my sleepy haze yesterday. He chuckled and dropped his jacket on my lap before taking the driver's seat.

He insisted on driving since he already guessed about my plan of picking him and he had planned our day accordingly, well not day exactly since it was almost 4pm.

"Where are we going?"

Erik brought the car to life swerved it out of the parking lot, pausing in front of the traffic ahead. "You remember the book store I took you to?"

I nodded but muttered an yes anyway since he was looking at the road and he couldn't really see me nod.

"I'm taking you there" He said before taking out his phone from the pocket of jacket. "Connect this and play something" He handed me his phone over.

A tad bit shocked I took the unlocked phone from him, connected it with the car's music system and browsed through his playlist dominated by The Porcupine Tree. There were songs from Coldplay, Imagine Dragons and some of my other favourite artists but I chose Fix You by Coldplay, it has been long since I heard this track.

He turned to me briefly with a smile before focusing back on the road. He looked happy today, happier than usual and it suited him so much. Homecoming looked good on him, his eyes made up for the warmth the winter sun lacked and he smiled more often. Like when he came out of the airport and looked at me leaning against my car, it wasn't just a polite smile of acknowledgement it was his one of a kind happy smile.

Most of the time his smile was polite... plastic. I knew because I had been doing the same. That smile wasn't one of them.

I turned my gaze away from his face, I shouldn't be thinking so much. But happiness intrigued me, at the age we were in everyone struggled with something or the other. People thought life to be their sworn enemy and always talked about ending it.

No one took time to stop by and think however life might be, it provided us with the few happy moments we experienced. Life is like our oldest friend, accompanying us ever since we were born and don't we sometimes disagree with our friends because of our decisions?

Erik's voice was distractingly amazing. He was singing along to the current song, probably not even aware of it himself. We had relapsed into the silence, me in my thoughts and him in the song. It wasn't unusual for us, we usually didn't mind sharing silence mostly because we were both listeners. None of us minded silence.

He stopped singing abruptly when he caught me staring. I stiffened as usual. "You're never gonna stop staring at me" He chuckled, not maintaining our eye contact as I snapped out of my gaze and scowled at him.

Why did he kept catching me staring at him? I turned away from him again and stared at the window stubbornly.

"I had piano lessons back in my school, singing kind of came with it." He flicked the side of my cheeks when I didn't look at him.

"Erik!" I snapped, rubbing my left cheek which was turning warm. "How many times I told you not to do that" I added, glaring at him.

He smiled his crooked smile before looking at me. "I love doing that to you" He chuckled. "I wonder how I take you by surprise everytime I do that"