Chapter 1

Sometimes, our nights are more alive than the days. This brightly lit new years eve sky would have never suited the moroseness I carried in myself even a month ago. Well life isn't the same way always. There are times when everything goes wrong, but it's the dark that let's us see the light isn't it?

We all have those phases where we struggle to figure out ourselves, I did too. I was outspoken, but only to a few chosen people to the rest I was an introvert. The one who knew everybody but never went out with any. You know, someone people were afraid to get close to because they got tired of the walls. But hey, I had tough walls because I needed them there. They were what I had always known and I didn't knew how to function without them.

The truth was, I was still this little girl who was vulnerable of the lies and games. I was scared. But then, this little girl got her saviour. Just when I thought I was hopeless, Zac came in to change that. He taught me what hope is. Taught me that if his false hope could heal me so much, how much could my own faith heal me?

I tore my eyes from the well lit sky and picked my phone up. 11:11 pm. Closing my eyes I made the one wish I had been chanting on since the day he left. "Let-" I stopped. Something didn't feel right. Let everything be okay didn't feel right on my lips anymore.

A red hued firework shot up in the sky. Bursting in to numerous flickers of light.

"Sometimes okay isn't enough"

I turned to Sebastian sitting idly beside me. He had his guitar on his lap, something with which he barely parts from.

"What is enough then?" I asked as my phone showed 11:12 pm.

"You'll know." He grinned. "Now that you've asked 11:11 what enough, you'll know" He added.

I rolled my eyes before sitting up straight and folding my legs in Indian style. I winced as my right knee ached a bit from being bent. Two months ago I had an accident which left some internal damage on my knee. I couldn't walk, was kept on complete bed rest for a month. Life after that was struggle. It was as if I was learning to walk all over again.

However it was better now, I could walk fine but a low ache accompanied me. Much like how my heart is now. The intense pain has passed but the dull ache of Zac being gone stayed. Sometimes I couldn't understand why I feel this way. It's not like I want Zac to come back in my life.

I don't know why there's this emptiness in me.

"30 minutes to go babe" Sia chirped from beside me before hugging me like the hyper excited kid she is. "I'm gonna be the first one to wish you" She promised turning to glare at Andrew who was laughing. "What?" She barked at him.

"Nothing" Andrew shrugged, trying to hide his laughter but failing miserably. I could see Nicholas doing the same out of the corner of my eyes which confirmed my suspicion about a prank being on its way right now.

My phone vibrated with a WhatsApp notification as Sia began interrogating Andrew. I quickly unlocked my phone to see the texts from Augustine.

Hey king kong!

I chuckled before typing back a Hey to him. I had no brother of my own, but if I had. I knew he'd have been like Augustine. I had stumbled upon him because of all the wrong reasons but as we talked we knew he was my long lost brother and I, his long lost sister. Sadly he couldn't make it today but I was going to meet him tomorrow for a siblings day out anyway.

Checking the time stamp on my message I locked my phone back when it suddenly clicked. It was 11:47 pm, where as according to Sia it was 11:30. They must've worked on her phone and changed the time!

"Sia, update your phone time" I said proceeding to glare at Nicholas.

"You just spoiled it" He groaned.

"Is there a moment you guys don't fight?" Sebastian asked, pointing at Andrew and Sia. Both of them were engaged in a verbal battle that loud.

"11:50! I made it guys"

All of us turned to Leo squatting with his hands on his knees and huffing.

"Look whose on time" Nicholas teased with a smirk tugging his lips while I rolled my eyes.

Leo and Nicholas had an age old rivalry. The reason is still unknown to anyone except them but they still manage to stay in the same gang without managing to strangle each other. However throwing sarcastic remarks now and then is not something they forget to do.

As Leo settled in beside Sebastian, I saw Sia take a peak at him. Something was definitely up between these two but it was already late since Leo had found himself the girl of his life. Except that even Sia had a boyfriend. I shrugged the possibility off my head. None of them would cheat their partners.

They were not Zac and I had to stop thinking that they could be like him.

"Ten"

"And it starts" Nicholas said running forward and setting his camera up on the tripod. By the time the crowd was at six he ran back and squeezed in the space between me and Sia. Letting his arms circle around both of us. Before I knew, the continuous flashes of the camera started.

"Three" Click.

I turned to look at Sia, smiling like she was the happiest person on earth and somehow, I found a smile coming up to my lips. I had lost many people, but some always found a way back. Some always, stuck around. Not in the good times, but in my worst times.

"Two" Click.

I had been so lost in Zac that I was about to lose myself, but I had retraced myself from him. I had let him go.

"One" Click.

I had saved myself.

"Happy New Year!"

The screams were deafening, the excitement powered through the air. New year had finally arrived.

And as my favourite people engulfed me in hugs, I knew it was never Zac, or the 11:11 which saved me. It was me. Everytime.