Chapter 18

Ever had one of those days? The one where you see a cute stranger, you think it's just a one day thing but then you start bumping in to them frequently and before you can even blink you've started seeing them everyday to them.

A week later they say their first hello and you start talking. Few minutes turn to 3 am conversations. A month later, you believe you know everything about them.

You feel like they've become a part of your life until one fine day, things change. That someone who took care of all your time stops caring for those little seconds. They promised you that each second from you mattered for them but then they forget those precious minutes, the long hours and finally they forget you.

It's damaging isn't it?

Zac's birthday has officially passed, along with my friends who were passed out in their respective beds. I didn't blame them, it was four am right now and not everyone stays awake at such times. I took the puff of the Marlboro clove mix and let out the bitter smoke, very few people knew that I smoked and by few I mean only Sebastian and Sophia.

I didn't like being asked why I smoke and I knew if it got out, people are going to ask about it. Maybe because I am going to be twenty, in three days and never had I ever touched a cigaret with my lips until a month ago. Weird right?

I started smoking because of my insomnia.  If I had nothing else to do, I sit and overthink, obviously about things that don't matter. Today was one of those nights. My mind was forcing me to think, and the thoughts weren't very friendly. Hence this was my third cancer stick for the night.

In the last two hours I sat alone, I had gathered tons of questions to ask Erik for the next session. He did pretty good reality checks and frankly, all the counsellors I met before told me some shit about time healing everything but not him. His answers were refreshing, even his questions and it made me think about the right things.

Which was a win for me because most of the time I got my brain heated from things that don't even matter.

I really wanted to ask him why I willingly didn't wish Zac today? I had a lot of chances. A lot.

Never once did my fingers itch to reach out for Seb's phone and check his facebook just once to know how his birthday went... a part of me screamed that I didn't care but somewhere I knew maybe that wasn't the right answer.

I'm not an insensitive person, if I know you and it's your birthday I'd come forward wish you and ask you how it went, if you say it didn't go well I'd try to cheer you up by cracking some silly jokes because birthdays are not birthdays unless your friends and family make it special. Unless they celebrate it and make you realise how important this day is to them because this was the day they got you.

Inhaling some of the smoke I let the rest out, it swirled in front of me before disappearing in the air.

Before Erik no one had the dare to tell me I never loved Zac before, no one. People who saw us together flipped when they heard Zac had been cheating on me. They thought it was a joke, and that's how happy we looked together.

Appearances can be so deceptive, don't they?

Take Erik for example. He was so young, he wore leather jackets and drove a motorcycle. His while demeanour screamed that he didn't give a damn about anything but he was one of the most observing persons I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

I reached for my phone, I hadn't replied to Erik's text about my second session. He had preponed it to tomorrow evening because he had to leave for some conference the day after. I saw the message but I guess then Scarlett pulled to me dance on her favourite song and I forgot about replying him.