Chapter 3

"Nicholas!" I hollered and waved my hand at him. He turned around, phone held over his ears and an angry scowl on his face.

I ended the call and walked off towards him. We have been communicating over the phone since last fifteen minutes. The Carnival was almost the size of a small island and it was completely packed with a crowd bigger than the store which distributes free food.

My thinking spree came to an end when Nicholas engulfed or rather tackled me in a hug. My eyes went wide as I took in the twin best friends of Caroline glare at me. I had my doubts on whether they were really fourteen. Damn they were really scary.

"Fúck I was so scared" Nicholas muttered. "I thought I'd never find you"

Lies. The jerk knew very well I won't get lost in a god damned carnival. "Oh Nicholas" I gushed. Patting his back sympathetically.

He finally released me, but his grip on my shoulder stayed. "Thank you" He breathed out. "They were starting to freak me out" He added in a whisper.

I turned to the twins and Caroline finally, while Caroline smiled, the twins... they did something along the lines of a evil smirk and a smile. Oh boy, Nicholas owed me big time.

Two or three rides later, I found myself slacking behind the group for a much needed breath of fresh air. The crowd had decreased to almost half of what it was back when I came and I couldn't be more grateful about it. I have never been a fan of crowds, neither am I exactly a fan of bratty fourteen year old twins batting their eyelashes at a nineteen year old guy! If I wasn't this tan, I'd have looked like a tomato right now.

Sadly though, I had no distinguishable trait that shows when I'm angry. Neither does my face go red, nor do I roll my fingers in a fist. I just stay like my normal self while my insides give out a feeling like the core of the earth has shifted inside me.

"Hey Rayne"

I turned my head to see Caroline beside me. "Hey sweetheart" I muttered, placing my hand on her shoulder.

"I don't like the way they flirt with him, but they're just popular and..." She huffed. "I know Nick gets super irked with them, but he never says anything because of me"

"Have you ever tried to see what's your stand without them?" I asked her instead of telling her not to be bothered about popularity because it'd mean no fućk when you're out in the real world. However, no fourteen year old would believe that. It was their age to dream and believe in whatever the shít they want.

Caroline shrugged. "I don't really know. I'm not a nerd neither am I ready to fall on any guy I see. I just don't fit in"

I saw Nicholas take a glance back at us. I urged him to continue forward but he hesitated after taking a peak of Caroline's face. However he did go ahead after a while. "I don't think you're a chameleon Caroline, and when you're not a chameleon you don't need to fit in. Hang out with the people you enjoy being with, not with someone who lowers your IQ as they speak. I mean maybe there's a wallflower out there having more fun with his friends than you're with your popular crew. You're smart enough to understand whose at loss here" I said sitting down on a bench placed beside the parking lot while Nicholas went to get the car, the twins accompanied him.

"It's not going to be easy" Caroline said. "I almost left my friends" She said, kicking a stone in front of her foot. "Ugh" She grumbled.

"Well pretty girl, if you almost left them you have a chance of getting them back" I winked, kicking back the stone to her.

Caroline smiled. "I guess. God they really lower my IQ. Who even believes that Kardashians are natural!" She squeaked, clutching her head. "Sometimes I doubt if they have taken out their brain and filled their head with makeup!"

Our laugh didn't last long since Nicholas came up with his car and we got in it with the twins. Halfway through Nicholas shared a worried look at my direction, I assured him one more time before turning to look out of the window. Caroline had always been a smart kid, situations have always made sure that she matures before due time. She understood when her mother couldn't bring her a newly launched phone or when she was over exerting Nick. Her being understanding made things easy for Nicholas and her mother.

We stopped in front of the twins house to drop them off before proceeding towards my home. "So did you both enjoy?" Nicholas asked, finally breaking the silence that hung in the car.

"We did" Caroline announced. "But next time you feel irritated with two fourteen year olds try growing a pair and handle the situation yourself"

The car swerved a little as Nicholas' reaction to Caroline's comment. I turned to Caroline who was laughing at her brother's expression. "Where did you even hear that from?" Nicholas asked mortified.

"From you of course" I answered him humbly.

"You're not suppoused to fuckińg say that. Mom's gonna kill me for pete's sake!"

"Nicholas!" I screamed, slapping his arm. "Keep your eyes on the road you idiot!"

"You were about to run over a cat" Caroline accused from the backseat.

"My baby sister just told me to grow a pair Trinity, what do you expect me to do?" Nicholas muttered dramatically.

"I'm not a baby you blind... baboon and why did you call her Trinity? Her middle name is much better. Rayne's hot"

I didn't know whether to laugh at Nicholas' expression or Caroline's words.

"I can call her any damned thing I want. She's my girlfriend"

"Fake girlfriend" Caroline corrected. "But I just love your name, Trinity Rayne Quinn. Awesomeness!" She gushed. "I have no idea why Zac cheated on you! Completely his loss"

If she would've said the same thing to me a month ago, my eyes would've stung and my vision would have blurred from the tears but today, all I could do was laugh at what the fourteen year old said. I don't know if it was his loss, but I know it wasn't mine in anyway.

Zac was never mine. He was meant to go.

I let the breeze hit my skin. It was slightly chilly, announcing the arrival of winters and I loved the way it felt as it passed through my hairs. Bliss.

"Trinity"

I turned my body around. Nicholas was completely focused on driving while Caroline had her headphones plugged in her ear, and was looking out of the window like I was a few seconds ago.

"Yeah?" I asked letting my eyes roam back to Nicholas.

"It wasn't easy right?" He asked, not looking at my direction.

I watched him closely, the calm in his features and the deathly grip he had on the steering wheel. "No" I said finally, turning to the road ahead. "Sometimes time is all we need Nicholas. Don't be hard on yourself"

A chuckle escaped his lips as I understood I had used his lines back on him. Back when I had my breakup, Nicholas was probably the first school friend I revived my contact with. I had been completely out of touch with my school friends ever since I joined college. Nicholas had his share of heartbreak one month after my break up. I don't know how serious he was with her because he never really opens up about it like I did to him.

But sometimes, specifically in times like this. His silence does the speaking for him. "It'll be okay" I assured him, sliding slightly towards him and resting my head on his shoulder.

"The night doesn't last forever huh?" He murmured.

"Keep emergency flashlights in case it does" I said, making both of us crack up.

It's moments like this which make you realise that a relationship isn't made upon the number of years you spent together. It's rather made up on the infinite moments you share throughout the relation. It's simply those moments, which define a relationship. Nothing else.

Moments in which the world seems blurry, and all that matters is now. Right now. Because now, is all you have. Because you don't know when life will flip. Because you don't know how life will change you. Because you don't know what you'll be a year later. You just don't.