Chapter 5

Mrs Alkaev and Mrs Volkov weren't blood related , which explained why they didn't share the same facial features. Mrs Alkaev was a petite woman with a slightly tan complexion because of being faraway from her motherland and also for enjoying the beaches around here to the fullest. Her hair stopped short on her shoulders in a professional bob but that didn't lessen her warmth even by a bit. She was loud and homey, so was Mrs Volkov, who on the other hand was tall and lean. Her complexion was fair and her hair fell above her waist in loose waves. However the feature of hers that I fell in love with were her light grey eyes. They were beautiful!

All the elders were chatting heartily as they prepared for the dinner while I and Sasha sat stranded on the couch. She was telling me about how annoying Xerxes could be when they wanted to be. As if on cue I spotted him climbing down the stairs while folding the sleeves of his sweatshirt. Erik followed him, hands stuffed in to his pockets and eyes cast towards me.

Shit.

I suppressed my urge to jolt and turn around. This was the second time he had caught me staring and considering the fact that how cocky guys can be, my staring could seriously boast his ego.

Zac was the same way.

I was about to put on a mask of nonchalance when Erik offered me a small welcoming smile. Wait no hidden smirks? Now even cocky eyebrow jerks? Just a polite smile?

Weird.

"We'd have called you guys to chill with us upstairs but our rooms aren't fixed yet. Pretty much everything's a mess" Xerxes shrugged.

Sasha raised her eyebrow at him as he took the seat beside Erik. "Well even if you had everything fixed your room would still be messy" She stated.

"You think she'll let that pass?" Erik murmured, gesturing to his mother with his eyes.

"Not in this lifetime" Xerxes added. "Ah, our beautiful neighbour, I didn't get your name" He spoke, leaning towards me a subtle hint of flirtation in his voice. Erik chuckled beside him.

"Oh don't you dare to hit on her" Sasha warned. "Don't even try" She added more menacingly.

"Why? Does she swing the other way?"

My eyebrows shot up at Erik, he just hinted at me being a lesbian! In times like this having a lot of best friends comes in handy. I was used to teasing and getting teased back very well. "I don't see that mattering here" I said, keeping it civil.

"Oh it does" Xerxes said, his lips tugged in a smirk while Sasha slapped her palm over her forehead.

Erik placed his hand over Xerxes' shoulder. "Don't make the poor girl uncomfortable brother" He said, the hint of humour never leaving his voice.

"How gentlemanly of you Mr Volkov" I mocked, considering the fact that it was him who started making me uncomfortable. How I loved sarcasm in times like this.

"Why thank you Miss Quinn" Xerxes answered instead. "I am the only Mr Volkov in the room, he's Erik Demenov, so it'd be Mr Demenov. May I know why Sasha is vehemently trying to stop me from flirting with you?" He said raising his eyebrows at Sasha.

"It's because she has had her share of fuckboys and she doesn't want another one to deal with right now" Sasha snapped at him.

Xerxes put his hand over his heart and pretended to be hurt. "Is that what you think of me?" He exaggerated.

Sasha simply rolled her eyes in return.

"You see she's only joking" Xerxes added, looking at me with his most convincing smile on.

"Stop harassing her Xerxes" Erik scolded.

"Why don't you both stop harassing me and let me talk to this beautif-"

"Shut up Xerxes" Both Sasha and Erik said at the same time making Xerxes groan.

The conversation was steered away from there since Xerxes and Sasha started arguing on whether Xerxes was a fuckboy or not. It was entertaining to watch them come up with hilarious come backs which left both me and Erik in laughing fits until we reached the dinner table.

I sat between Erik and my mother who was acquainted with him since she had been in their house since noon. So as they fell in to some conversation about colleges I zoned out on the heavenly meal. Everything on the table was out of Indian menu's. Mrs Alkaev was an avid fan of spicy indian food and so were me and Sasha. Biryani topped the list and seeing it on my plate made me almost forget anything else existed.

I was halfway through the well seasoned rice when I felt Erik's elbow hit me softly on my arm. "Your phone is vibrating since last five minutes." He spoke pointing at the phone on my lap. "I thought it might be something urgent"

I stole a glance at my mother to make sure she was not looking before picking up my phone with my left hand. She would give me an earful if she caught me with my phone while eating. The excuse of an emergency won't work.

"Trinity what do you thin-" My mother started when I was halfway through Leo's messages.

"Can you pass me the jug Mrs Quinn?" Erik spoke from beside me, successfully diverting her attention.

By the time my mother had passed the jug to Erik, I had replied back to Leo. It was indeed an urgent matter.

"God I'm full" Sasha groaned collapsing down on the couch beside Xerxes.

"Yeah" I mumbled faintly before closing my eyes to get rid of the sudden burning sensation in them. "Uhh Xerxes, can you tell me where the bathroom is? I think my lenses are troubling me" I added. Rubbing my eyes almost vigorously now with the amount of irritation it was causing.

"Upstairs, go right and it's the first door you come across. My mother wears lenses too, so if you need some solution, shout it out."

I thanked Xerxes before rushing to the staircase and climbing the stairs, I went left as he told me to and tried to opened the first door I came across. It was locked! I knocked on the door vigorously until I heard a faint "coming". At this point, my eyes were blurry with unshed tears from the irritation. I couldn't see clearly. I silently prayed to God to not let me go blind as I side stepped the person and rushed in the washroom to search for the sink.

"Trinity what's wrong?"

It was Erik. I chose not to answer him as I looked round the room. It was definitely not the washroom and it smelled of... Marlboro. I had surely messed up with the instruction Xerxes gave me and ended up in Erik's room instead.

"I'm sorry I thought this was the washroom" I muttered, walking out of his personal space. All to blame on those moronic pair of contact lenses and most importantly my carelessness.

"I'll take you come on" He said, gently holding my upper arm and tugging me with him. I had my palm on my right eye, the one which was tearing up constantly, by the time Erik ushered me in front of the sink. He took the liberty of switching on the lights while I took off both my lenses and closed my eyes.

I heard the water from the tap start running as Erik washed his hands before taking the lenses from my hands. He had left the tap open so that I could quickly splash some on my face. The relief I got was instantaneous. I let out a huge breath of relief. I had not turned blind.

"Okay now?"

I turned to face Erik who looked as terrified as I had been as he held both the lenses in different hands. Smart guy, he didn't mix up the right and the left lens.

"Better" I whispered. Taking out my lens case from my pocket and unscrewing the left ones cap off. He placed the left one inside while I proceeded with the other. "Thank you" I added once I was done placing the case back in my pocket.

"No harm done" He smiled leaning against the door way of the washroom.

I responded with a smile before taking a glance at the mirror as I wiped my eyeliner. God I looked like a racoon!

"You glasses." Erik muttered handing them over to me.

I put on my glasses and turned to him. "Thank you again" I smiled.

With that said, he moved away from the door while I walked past him downstairs.