twenty two

"Hey, Mar. Uh, I wanna tell you something. Please answer the phone. Love you."

-

"Marisol. Yeah, this is kinda important, so if you could just answer the phone. Thanks."

-

"Okay, listen. I don't wanna tell you in a voicemail so please don't make me. Call me back."

-

I had been trying to call Marisol the whole next morning after Nash and I kissed. Kissing Nash when he's sixteen, and I'm fifteen is way different than kissing when we were thirteen. Way different. And by different, I mean better. It was really nice, and honestly, I have no words to describe it other than 'nice'. It was better than nice, but I can't find a good word.

I had stayed at Nash's house that night after calling my mom and telling her. She told me she had a surprise for me at home, but to wait until tomorrow to come home.

"Do you know what it is?" Nash had asked. "Any ideas?"

"I have no clue. She was acting weird before she went to work. Maybe she didn't even go to work."

So now, here Nash and I were in the car, driving to my house. I gave up on calling Marisol and texted my mom, telling her we were on our way.

"Cheyenne?" Nash says, quietly.

"Mhm," I mumble, looking out the window.

"Will your mom be weirded out that were dating? Seeing that we're literally best friends."

"So, we're dating?" I bite my thumb nail and smile to the window.

"Shit," he whispers. "Well, I mean we kissed, and we're like together. I don't know. Do you want to be my girlfriend?" I laugh.

"Is this your way of asking me out?" I turn to him.

"You heard me." He's smiling as he turns the corner onto my street.

"Well, then no." I cross my arms. He looks at me with a face of disbelief. "First of all, look at the damn road." Nash looks back out the windshield. "Second of all, I was kidding." He shakes his head and pulls into the driveway. He shuts off the car and puts the keys into the cup holder.

"Okay, so we're like dating now?"

"Yeah, I guess."

"Who do we tell first?" he questions.

"You were so worried about telling my mom. So I guess we'll tell her first?" He nods.

"Alright." He takes the keys back into his hand before leaning over the middle console. "Can I get a kiss as boyfriend and girlfriend?"

"Nope." I rush out of the car and up to the front door. I hear Nash get out of the car, and I quickly open the door before he comes. As soon as I open the door, I hear barking. I look around the room, confused. "Uh, Mom?"

"Honey! Back porch!" Nash walks in behind me and stops me before I can go through the house.

"You are not getting away from me." He wraps an arm around me lower back and pulls me in. He kisses me hard and then lets go. "C'mon now." I giggle and grab his hand, dragging him towards the back of the house. When I step onto the porch, I spot my mother in the yard with a puppy. A huge one at that.

"You got me a puppy?!" I jump off the porch, which isn't that high, and run towards them. The puppy decides to meet me halfway. It's a St. Bernard puppy so it's pretty big. I squat down and let the puppy jump into my lap. I catch him and hold him close. "Aw, Mom. He's so cute. This is your surprise, right?" She nods fondly.

"I know you've wanted one for awhile, and I didn't really put much thought into it. He's an early birthday present, you could say. This is the one you wanted, right? A St. Bernard?"

"Yes. Oh my God, I love it so much. Is it a boy or girl?" I ask, ruffling its fur.

"Boy. Is that alright?" she ask, nervous.

"That's perfect. He's perfect." I turn my attention to the pup in my arms. "Yes, you are. You are a perfect little bundle of joy. Yes, you are." I put him back down on the ground and rub his tummy. He pants, jumps up, and run over to a ball where he was before. He brings it back, and I try to pull it out of his mouth, but he wants to fight me. I tug it a bit more and finally get it out of his mouth. "Ha!" I toss the ball across the yard. He lays down where the ball is and starts playing with it himself. "Okay then." I stand up, and Nash and my mom are standing behind me.

"So, I guess you like him?" My mother smiles once again, and I nod eagerly.

"I love him so much, Mom. Thank you!" I pull her in for a hug and kiss her cheek. "Thank you, thank you, thank you." I let her out of my grasp and go over to Nash. "I just got a puppy, a fucking puppy!"

"Cheyenne Marie!"

"Sorry, I'm just excited. What should I name him? What about Bentley? Bacon? Axl? Oh my gosh, Axl. That's perfect." Nash chuckles, and I spin around to face the yard. "Axl! C'mere Axl." He continues chewing on his tennis ball. "I guess he just needs to learn his name." I shrug and turn back around. "Why haven't you said anything?" I ask Nash and grab ahold of his hand. He gives me a look. "Oh, should we tell her now?" I whisper in his ear.

"I don't know."

"Stay for lunch, and we'll tell her then." I back away from him as he nods. "What are we having for lunch?"

"We could get some take out, if you guys want," Mom suggests.

"That's fine with me."

"Alright, let's go order." I try to call for Axl one more time, and his ears perk up. I call again, and he comes running. We all head inside, and I ask my mom if we are going to house train him. "I don't think so. He's a big dog so we might as let him use the bathroom outside." I nod. "That means you'll have to wake up if he needs to go outside in the morning. It's a lot of work, caring for a dog."

"Mom," I groan. "I know." Nash and Mom laugh together.

"Okay, okay." We decide what we want(Chinese food), Mom orders, and when it's ready for pick up, she goes to get it. Nash and I stay back and play with Axl.

"How are we gonna tell her?" Nash questions, playing with Axl and his tennis ball.

"I don't know. I guess we just tell her, ya know?" Nash nods along with what I'm saying.

"Okay."

When Mom comes back and we are eating in the living room, with Axl trying to steal things off our plates, neither Nash nor I can bring up the subject. Before we know it, we're done eating, and Mom doesn't know yet. Great.

"So, what do you want for your birthday? It's on Wednesday," Mom asks, and I shrug.

"I don't know. Maybe some stuff for Axl? He needs a collar and everything."

"Oh, I didn't tell you I already got stuff?" I shake my head, and she laughs. "Yeah, I hid it in my room so you wouldn't see it." I get excited, and my knees start shaking.

"Calm down," Nash breathes and grabs my knee. It doesn't stop shaking.

"Can I go get it? What is it?"

"Just a collar and leash, some toys. We need to get him a cage or bed or something. Also, your uncle is coming over tomorrow to start on a fence for the backyard. Just so.. Axl?" I nod. "Just so Axl can be in the backyard while we're away without being tied up. You can go ahead and get it."

"Oh, thank you, Mom!" I get up and hug her, a bit harder than usual. "Thank you, thank you. I love you so much."

"You're welcome. I love you, too."