eleven // part one

The rest of the week went by quickly. Violet came and then decided to go home the next day. She's the same annoying 8 year old she was last year, just a year older.

"She has way too much energy," Aaron had said. "I think she eats too much ice cream."

*

"Everyone can fit in the van because Moe isn't going." Everyone was in the living room, trying to figure out how we were getting to our family reunion. Everyone agreed to going in the van, so we all headed outside. "I'll drive, and Angie can ride up front," Aunt Pinky begins. "Moe Moe and Erica in the middle seats, and Cheyenne and Aaron in the back." We all piled into the seats assigned to us. Pinky started the car and drove off.

In about 15 minutes, we were at the Aunt Dove's house, where the reunion was being held. Dove greeted us at the end of the driveway and told us where to park.

"I'm nervous," Aaron whispers in my ear as we walk towards the tables where most of the family is seated. Some of the guys are playing football, and others are absentmindedly walking around.

"It's gonna be okay, babe." I give his hand a tight squeeze. "Most of them are nice." I smirk at him when his eyes widen, most likely at the word 'most'. "They're kinda like me; not so nice sometimes and super nice other times." I make Aaron sit down beside my grandpa, who is sitting at a table alone.

"Cheyenne! I'm so glad you're here." I lean down and pull him into a hug.

"I'm glad I'm here too. I missed you." He ruffles my hair with his wrinkly hand and smiles. I push a hand through it to try and tame it. "This is Aaron, grandpa." He sticks his hand out, and Aaron shakes it.

"Well, hi."

"Hello." I sit down beside Aaron and put my hand on his knee.

"Don't be so nervous," I whisper in his ear.

"Aaron!" I look over my shoulder and see Moe Moe run towards us with Zeyn, another one of my cousins, behind him. "Wanna come play football with us?"

"Sure." He stands up and wipes his hands on his shorts. He kisses my cheek then runs off with Moe Moe and Zeyn.

*

I've spent the last hour getting hugs, kisses, and 'I missed you's'. There are too many people, and I honestly just want to go back home. Well not home, but to Aunt Pinky's. I walk into the massive house and find my way into the living room. I sit down on the leather couch and laugh at the sound it makes. I grab the remote from the coffee tabe and switch on the television. I have no idea what was on, but I didn't feel like changing it. I toss the remote to the other side of the couch and rest my head on my arm. I feel my eyes fluttering shut until I hear someone's footsteps. I lift my head up, and my eyes widen.

"Sammy, what the fuck are you doing here?" I ask through clenched teeth, adding extra emphasis on the word 'fuck'. I stand up, and he smirks at me. "Seriously, how did you get here?" He keeps smirking at me and won't say one word. I push his chest a little. "Sammy, tell me you little shit."

"You're mom gave me the address."

"What do you mean my mom gave you the address? How did you even know I was going to Ohio?"

"I talked to your mom before you guys left. I came over, but you weren't home so I talked to your mom."

"So, you just decided to show up here? You can't do that."

"Are you angry?" He laughs as I groan.

"I don't know. It's just, Aaron gets jealous easy, and he doesn't know you."

"You can just say I'm your cousin. We're just friends anyway."

"Just because we're friends doesn't mean he ain't gonna get jealous. He thought me and Nash had a thing."

"Who's Nash?"

"Oh, right. You haven't even met anyone. That's one of my best friends."

"Ah, I see. Well, we should get out there and act like family, shouldn't we?" I roll my eyes. He tries to walk away, but I grab his arm to turn him around.

"I still have a question. Well, two." He waits patiently for me to continue. "Number one, did you need something? Like why did you come here?"

"I wish I had an excuse, but I don't. I just wanted to see you."

"You asshole, you better not have a crush on me." I poke his chest with my index finger and smile.

"I don't, I swear." He puts his hands up in mock surrender. "Can we just hang out again?"

"We hang out."

"Not since you and Aaron made up. I haven't seen you since you were sick."

"Wow, has it really been that long?" I've honestly lost track of time since summer began. He nods slowly.

"I miss youuuuuu," he pouts.

"Aw, stop." He pushes my shoulder. "Okay, when I get back from Ohio, we'll hang out. Just you and me. We'll go to the movies or somethin'."

"That's a promise?"

"That's a promise," I repeat. He tries to walk away once again, but I make him stay again. "I still have another question," I state.

"What?" I gape at him. "Sorry, I'm little rude sometimes."

"Did you get a haircut?"

"I did, thanks for noticing."

"I like it." I run a hand through it, and he glares at me.

"You're an ass." I stick my tongue out at him. "So should I like, go home or what?"

"You drove four hours to be here, you shouldn't go home. Do you have a place to stay?" He shakes his head.

"I was gonna stay with my old brother that lives an hour away, but his girlfriend is there. I hate her."

"Well if I ask my aunt and tell her to act like your my cousin then you can stay with us. There's plenty of room at her house."

"Awesome. You're the best." He pulls me in for a hug, and I wrap my arms around his waist.

"Cheyenne? Who's this?"

_________