day fourteen

In his grace, God has given us different gifts for doing certain things well. So if God has given you the ability to prophesy, speak out with as much faith as God has given you. (7) If your gift is serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, teach well. (8) If your gift is to encourage others, be encouraging. If it is giving, give generously. If God has given you leadership ability, take the responsibility seriously. And if you have a gift for showing kindness to others, do it gladly.

Romans 12:6-8

Have you ever known someone (or maybe it was you yourself) who would never ask for help? I struggle with this sometimes- I feel like to be worthy, I have to be independent. I don't always like to have to rely on others, but when I think that I miss the point. God never intended for us to do it all on our own, and sometimes, it shows. 

Think about everyone you know. Does anybody have the exact same two personalities and talents? God didn't make one human and put them in a copier- He made us like puzzle pieces, to fit together and make a beautiful whole. One puzzle piece by itself doesn't do much good, but when you put all of them together it makes more sense. And God is the glue holding the whole puzzle together- we're all doing His work in different ways. Maybe you speak well, or maybe you write or play music. Whatever your gift is, God gave it to you for a reason. 

But I know all too well that sometimes our gifts feel like they aren't "perfect" enough to use for God's glory. Our lettering isn't neat enough. Our writing isn't cohesive enough. Our music isn't catchy enough. Whatever it is, it's all surely from the enemy. Obviously we're not perfect, because only Jesus was perfect. Who cares if your drawing is smudged? The world cares. But luckily, we're not here to serve them. 

We are to use our gifts for the glory of God, and that's all. God never said He wanted perfection- He just wants glory. The enemy and the world tell us our gifts are never enough, but they're from God, so how could they not be? When those thoughts and fears start creeping in, don't be afraid to say, "Get behind me, satan!" The work we are called to do is much too important to be distracted by the schemes and standards of this world.