28

"We're not leavin'," said one man. "This's our home."

This statement was met by cheers from the other men of the town. Pallu tried to hide her excitement at the prospect of battle. She raised a hand and they quieted.

"They outnumber us three to one. They are trained mercs. And that's not even taking into account the mages." She paused just for effect. "There are at least fourteen."

Whispers filled her ears.

"The decision is yours. I will stay with those who wish to stay. Those who wish to go should do so now."

After a few minutes of discussion the women and children and a few men left. Pallu nodded and said, "Get what weapons you have and I'll share my plans."

"What's the plan?" asked Recet after the villagers left.

"You'll have to wait."

"She doesn't have one," Draus jibbed.

"I've a plan. I just don't know if it'll work."

Draus rolled his eyes. "Like all your experiments."

She smirked. "All my experiments work in theory. And so far real life."

"One day it will not be so."

"Aye but not today."

****

Pallu laid flat on her back on the east side of a hill. Dew clung to her and her clothes, causing her body temperature to drop. She clenched her teeth to keep from shivering. She chanced a look to her fellow Mind Trickers laying beside her. The column of mercenaries and mages marched their way past them, towards Roso. With the stealth borne from years of training she and her companions stole down the hillside, the faint light of day barely peeking over the far mountains in the east. The sound of battle resounded in her ears. The mages were in the rear as expected, reeking havoc with magical attacks.

"Do you all have it?" she asked her friends as they ran.

"Aye," came their reply.

Soon the mages were in range. With adrenaline pumping like a raging river in their veins they stopped and set arrow on string.

"Set shields," Pallu commanded vocally and mentally to the Fairies fighting the mercenaries in the front.

"Set," came the dual response.

No sooner had the words been said then the mages cast their offensive spells. The shields held true and sent their attacks back on the casters. As the mages cried out in pain the nine White Guard, two in the front of battle and seven in the rear, let fly their arrows. Nine mages fell nearly as one.

"Shields," repeated Pallu with her second arrow pulled to her cheek.

The disoriented mages looked behind them in time to see arrows whistling their deadly songs straight into the pain racked bodies.

"Fire at will!"

They obeyed until every arrow was spent. Pallu sent out a piercing whistle. From the far side of the hill galloped a villager with seven horses in tow. Pallu and her companions rushed to their steeds. They mounted and ran full speed into the rear flank of the mercenary force. Pallu's sword hacked and cleaved mechanically. She saw a dense area of enemy troops. She moved as close as she could get and then leapt into the fray. Her blade wove and sliced in ways only a sword master knew steel could. So furious were her attacks that none of the soldiers wished to fight her unless she engaged them which she did with abandon. Enemies fled before her blade and allies cheered her.