13

Pallu sat poised to the right of Queen Ner. She still could not believe what Rumah had revealed about her occupation.

Which one do I use, Lu? The lil' fork or the big one?

The big one.

Rumah sighed in her mind. Ya're still think' 'bout it.

After several seconds of silence she asked, Are you still doing it?

No. I've been out of it for a while.

"Bring the boy in," the queen told the servant behind her. After short wait, a young boy came in with two thin, elegantly decorated boxes stacked atop each other. "Would you two ladies please stand?"

Both rose as the queen opened the first box to reveal a thin circlet and placed it on Pallu's head. With the second, she did the same to Rumah. "These were mine when I was your age. And these..." She produced two different sets of keys and gave one set to each girl. "These belong to two estates outside of Aysre and come with the title of Duchess for you both. These are but small tokens of my gratitude."

Pallu and Rumah looked at each other, mouths agape. "My Lady, this is too..."

Ner smiled gently and put up a hand. "If this is anything it is too little. I wish I could give more. We will take a ride to see them tomorrow."

As the two young women looked to the nobles, soldiers, and advisors in the throne room they knew those blood-born's were just as shocked as they were. Never had anyone received such high accolades.

****

What? I didn't 'ear 'er right. This isn't happenin'.

Pallu turned her eyes to Rumah who sat across from her in their carriage. Her blue eyes were glazed in shock. Rumah's thoughts were not directed at Pallu, but Pallu could not help but hear.

"What did ya say, Pallu?"

"I said we're almost there."

Rumah poked her face out the window. Her breath caught. "It's beautiful."

Pallu watched her for a hint of deceit. Why did she feel like Rumah had lied to her? It was not as if Rumah had done so. She had simply not told Pallu, and honestly, Pallu had never asked. Now that she knew, Pallu would be watching for anything that Rumah might deem worthy to take. What was she thinking? Rumah had never and would never steal from them.

"It's got a garden, Lu!" Rumah looked to be on the verge of tears, and as she turned to face Pallu, Pallu realized Rumah was indeed crying. "This is too much. First Ocran and then the queen and now this. She doesn't normally do this, does she? I mean I'm nobody and I reacted."

"No, she doesn't. The most I've heard is for the kings and queens to knight. Can't exactly do that for a woman but a Duchessay is a huge leap from a knight."

"But why? What does she want?"

"I would like to say she did it out of gratitude, but I think there is more to it. I think my father's theory has something to do with it."

Rumah went silent in thought and looked out the window just as the carriage was pulled to a halt. The door opened, and before the two young women stood a small army of servants. A woman curtsied and then moved before Rumah and curtsied again.

"Duchess Rumah, it is my honor to welcome you and Lady Pallu into your new home. I am Baca, your Mistress of Maids. Her Majesty the Queen has sent word she will arrive shortly. Her Majesty had business to detain her. If you will follow me, I will show you about the estate, and after a tour of your home, Deteon will show your ladyship and Duchess Pallu your estate grounds."