11

"She's not poisoned. I told ya," Rumah retorted to the doctor as he went in search of the weapon used. Ya're not poison, Lu.

"At least let him check, dear. He's so particular. I have no doubts you are quite correct," the queen pacified Rumah as Ner set about preparing tea without ever using her hands. Rumah's mouth fell open as she plopped down next to Pallu who promptly pushed her jaw closed.

She's trained. I've only seen ya and Nimshi work like that. She's got amazin' control.

You remember when we met in the park the first time and what Vinit said?

Nah. I've slept since then, Lu.

Well, he told me she took down four grown men with her mind tricks the night her husband was killed. Pallu laughed inside. Even when with her instructors, Pallu caught herself calling her mental abilities 'mind tricks,' a side effect of her friendship with Rumah.

"Do you all enjoy sweetened tea?"

"Yes, majesty," replied Pallu for them both.

"I was not aware that Nimshi had two daughters." The queen sent the tea cups and saucers to the pair and followed the floating china with her own in hand, the smile on her face genuine.

"We are not sisters, my liege. At least not by blood anyway." Pallu accepted and sipped the tea with the grace of a lady while Rumah was not so elegant.

"We do get that a lot, majesty. Frum the first day we met we did."

"It is hardly inconceivable that you should be thought as such. Despite your hair color and eyes you look nearly the same. I cannot thank you two enough for saving my life."

"Wit'out yer majesty the kingdom would fall ta pieces."

The doctor appeared with weapon in hand. "How did you know that, child? I've tested it and could find nothing."

Rumah pointed to the blade and Pallu's eyes as she spoke. "Olimin is best fur stickin' ta blades. The others slide easy off the blade, so he would've 'ad ta 'ply it quick afore the attempt. He didn't 'ave the time, hidin' as 'e was frum e'eryone. The whites of 'er eyes would 'ave turned yellow and 'er wound. The skin 'round it would've been white spindles."

The doctor's eyes narrowed as he considered her. "Few know the poisons so well."

Rumah chuckled mirthlessly. "Aye, well, yer not frum livin' in the streets, are ya? I've 'ad ta patch up more of me friends than I like ta tell."

Pallu put a hand on Rumah's forearm, sensing the defensiveness in her voice. "Am I sewn together, Doctor?"

He nodded. "Yes, I've nothing further to do for you save a sleeping draught with some pain agents."

"I'd rather not..."

"It'll be in your room in case you change your mind." He tilted his head, turned, and bowed to the queen. "May I get you anything, my lady?"

"No. I'm quite fine. Thank you." She tilted her head to him as he bowed once more before leaving. Her attention returned to girls. "I've informed your father of your situation. No doubt he'll be arriving soon."

"Thank you, your majesty."

"Please, call me Ner."

Pallu tilted her head.

"I know you all must be quiet exhausted. Before you go to bede I wish to show you something." She looked pointedly at Pallu. Her eyes drifted to a small chest beside her bed, and it rose a few inches off the ground before flying to sit before Pallu. The young woman's handkerchief pulled free from its place in Pallu's shirt pocket seemingly of its own volition and floated steadily to the queen's waiting hand. "It's been you all these years. Hasn't it?"