27

She did not know how long she sat on the ground crying. She did not even know that Draus was sitting next to her with his arm around her as she sobbed uncontrollably. All she knew was that he was gone. Yunin was gone.

He's gone.

The phrase kept repeating in her mind. She would not have him near her, to... Her eyes sought the ceiling. All their dreams. All their plans. They're all gone because he's gone. It's all the mages' fault. If they wouldn't be trying to take over everything Yunin would still be alive. The thought braced her and took away her tears. She'd make them pay. Starting with the ones in Mic's village. She rose so abruptly that Draus did not know what she was doing. He ran to block her way, eyeing her wearily.

"What are you about, Pallu?"

"Get out of my way."

"I'm not going to let you go after them," he said, guessing her plans.

With a wave of her hand he hit the wall a few feet behind him. He stood as if unaffected by her attack and blocked her way.

"I'm not letting you go after them, Pallu. You'll die."

"I don't care!" And for the first time in her life she realized she didn't.

"You are needed alive." He danced in front of her as she tried to move past him.

"Get out of my way!" Her mind pushed him back with impressive force.

Draus did the same to her, causing her to bump her head against a beam. "He would not want you to waste your life."

"You know nothing about him. Don't speak to me of him."

"Think of Rumah."

That brought her to a stop. "She can survive without me. She did for many years."

"She can't now." Draus moved before her, hand out as if reasoning with an animal. "She needs you. Your father needs you. The queen. Your company. This village. My cousin. They all need you. If after the war when you may no longer be needed and you decide to go into battle with overwhelming odds, I will not stop you. But until you are no longer needed, you will have to live."

Pallu's tears began again. "He's..."

He put a comforting hand on her shoulder. "Aye, he's gone for now. But not forever. You will see him again."

The young woman looked at him as if seeing him for the first time.

"Pallu, death is not a punishment. It is the beginning of forever."

She took in a deep breath and then her brow creased. "Where did you hear that?"

"From my mother."

The master's head cocked to the side and the beginnings of a smile flitted across her grime and tear smeared face. "Mine used to say the same."

"Is that a smile I detect beneath that mask?"

"Master!" Hyui came running in at that moment. At the sight of Pallu he skidded to a halt. "Master, what's wrong?"

After mastering her emotions she took a deep breath. "Master Yunin died."

Hyui's face dropped. "Oh Pallu. I'm so sorry."

"What did you need, Hyui?"

"We have a visitor."

Pallu's grin was positively unnerving. "Show me."

Hyui showed her to Linu's house where Linu and Recet were guarding a man in worn traveling clothes. He was bound, though not gagged. Pallu verily sauntered to him. "What have we here?"