7

Rumah stood staring at the dirty bandages from her wound. She considered trying to move them with her mind, but after the pain of moving the feather just a few days ago, she was not sure she wanted to.

How is your hip, Rumah? came the quiet voice of Other in her head.

The young woman fell off the bed. After she recovered, she asked, How did ya know...Oh. Ya felt it.

Aye.

What's yer name? I know ya're a girl.

As are you. I'm Pallu. Well met.

Well met. Rumah fell silent, not accustomed to this strange voice in her mind.

Neither am I. This is the first time I've ever heard another voice in my head.

How'd ya hear that?! I didn't say a thing.

I suppose we're going to have to learn to keep our thoughts and our speech separate.

Who are ya? I mean. How do ya do all these mind tricks?

Rumah felt this Pallu smile. I'm Pallu, and I've been taught how to do these 'mind tricks' by my father. As I intend to teach you before you hurt yourself.

Ya're ta teach me, are ya? I'll not be schooled by someone I've not ever met, lassy.

Aye, but we have met, Rumah. Just not like normal people.

Rumah laughed out loud and in her mind. I'm needin' ta know a few things 'bout ya afore ya try ta teach me a thing.

Like what?

Like who ya are or where yer frum. Or how old ya are. And how come we can talk ta each other like this. I've ne'er heard o' this afore.

Pallu sighed. Neither have I, Rumah. But for whatever reason, we can it's unknown to me. Like I said I'm Pallu. I'm from Aysre.

Aysre? That's where I live. Rumah chastised herself for telling such things to a stranger and not keeping her mouth...or brain shut.

Pallu chuckled. I'm glad to hear it. Perhaps we could meet and assuage your fears and my own.

So she was not the only one to be fearing this strange ability they shared. How old are ya?

I'm seventeen.

Same as me.

Truly? What are the chances? Perhaps a generational thing.

Whatever it is, I can sorta move some thin's with me mind. I don't know that it's normal though.

Of course it's normal.

Rumah took a deep breath as if steadying herself and ventured, It's not magic, is it?

Of course not. It's your mind not some outside force. It's no different than being a fast runner or a better swordsman.

Where are ya at? Or what are ya doin'? I can't imagine doin' this an' somethin' else at once.

I'm riding back to Aysre. One of my friends has fallen ill, and I'm taking him to a doctor. Besides, you'll get used to doing things with your mind and other things at the same time. Part of the training.

Yar'nt tellin' anyone, are ya?

I'll only tell my father.

No! I mean, I don't want no one knowin' until we get this sorted out. Grasp?