Little Brother

"I'm going to go pick up Chase." I say as I take a step inside Nate's office.

"Wait a minute, I'll come with you." He says with a smile before signing the folder in front of him and getting up to follow me out. After a long day of work, It's always fun to just be next to your loved ones. It helped release some of the tension that keeps clouding your mind.

"I wanted to ask you something." Nate says

"What is it?" I respond.

"How come you came back to the company. Don't get me wrong, I love having my wife close by, but your dad said it was fine that you continued working for him even if we're competitors in business and I thought you enjoyed working with your family."

"What can I say, you're my family as well. You're also my husband that gave me this life I have now and to whom I will also be grateful too. Just call it intuition that made me want to work for you."

As we get out of the car, we wait at the front gate for the children to come out.

"Um excuse, what time are the children let out?" A young girl asks me.

"First time?" I ask and she nods.

"Yeah, my brother was busy so he asked me to pick up my nephew." She says and after looking at her more carefully, I realise she's the girl in Chri's drawing.

"They should be out anytime now."

"Thank you."

"Can I ask you a question?"

"What is it?"

"Do you by any chance know a boy named Christopher Vanderbilt?" I ask and she turns away, but I can tell her cheeks became a shade of pink.

"Um yeah, do you know him?"

"He's kind of my little brother." I say and her eyes go wide.

"So you're the long lost daughter of the Vaderbilt family. I'm Carie, a friend of Chris. I heard Chris talk about how great of a sister you are."

"Thank you for the compliment. How about we take the kids out for some ice cream. I would love to learn more about Chris." I say and she smiles.

------------------

We talked for a good half hour at the ice cream parlour before we started walking in the park, but suddenly our conversation was interrupted.

"Valerie what are you doing?" I hear an annoyed Chris say from behind me.

"Um hi." She says shyly and with a bland hi, he turns back to his sister.

"Can I talk to you for a minute?" Before even getting an answer, he pulls me to away.

"What are you doing talking to her?"

"Believe me when I tell you I'm not acting like those that you see on TV where the family is only there to embarrass you."

"I know enough about you to know you're not like Asher. But why are you talking to her?"

"Well, she told me how you said I was a great sister and she seemed kind and someone who pays attention to you, so I asked her to tell me a bit about you." He blushes.

"I can confirm that she likes you as much as you like her." He tries to deny it but I cut him off.

"I saw your drawings already, don't deny it."

"You should go talk to her."

"I'll go do it now." He says before running to Carie.

"I wonder how he found out I was talking to Carrie, hm?" I say playing dumb.