Chapter 36 Holidays

Nora and Addie stood in front of both the men they adored, trying hard not to burst out laughing. Robbie barely came up to Daniel's hip but stood ramrod straight copying Daniel's hands on hips stance. Both stood in the back dressing room of the small men's shop, dressed in blue, green and black kilts with identical Prince Charlie jackets with three gold buttons going up each sleeve. They both wore black waistcoats secured by three buttons. The thought of keeping white dress shirt spotless from two people with a penchant for sticking their fingers in things was daunting. Both wore black silk bow ties. A miniature copy of Daniel's leather pouch hung from Robbie's little waist. Both wore plaids pulled under their left arms secured at the top of their right shoulder with silver clasps. 

 Nora imagined Robbie using his as a napkin, but standing next to Daniel in this moment, he was adorable. With perfectly neutral expressions, she and Addie walked around them, studying them as if they were display models. Nora couldn't resist making adoring clucking noises at the way they looked from the back. They had opted for nice dress shoes, but she insisted that they have plaid garters for their knee highs. If they were going to go all Scottish, then they would look the part.

 "Mummy, why do I have to wear a purse? A jimmie doesn't wear a purse," Robbie whinged.

 "Not a purse, Robbie," Daniel explained, "they're called a sporran and they're cool. It's like a surprisingly large pocket that you can hide stuff in.  You know, an Inverness cape would look good.  I'd look like Sherlock Holmes." Daniel chuckled.

 "Right, you would cut a dashing figure," Nora laughed. "Daniel, are you sure you want to go regimental? I'm not sure Robbie should, he's might hike the kilt just to show off he's starkers underneath."

 "Mum, I won't do that. Girls are gonna be there," Robbie protested. "The man says you have to put a kilt knife on to hold it down."

 "Pin, Robbie, it's a kilt pin and it's just a decoration. You are not wearing a knife."

 "Aw, can't we let him a fake one, maybe in his stocking. C'mon Nora, it would be cool. Think of Jackie Tyler's face when the two of us come walking out dressed properly Scottish." Daniel glanced at the salesman who went and brought back a short fake knife that, from a distance, looked real.  

 "Now lad," he intoned seriously. "This by nae means a is toy. Ye cannae be takin' it oot 'n' wavin' it aboot. We ca' this a sgian dubh. Kin ye say that fur me," the salesman instructed.

 "Skeen' Doo," Robbie answered.

 "That's good. Wearin'  one shows th' Sassenach that yer a proper Scots, so ye don't wantae be goin' down thare 'n' makin thaim think that yer some heathen comin' ta visit ."  When the salesman glanced up at Nora, his eyes twinkled with suppressed humour. He'd obviously dealt with the safety issue many times before. He leaned close to Robbie pretending to give him serious advice. "Whin yer starkers under a kilt, a skelp on th' bahookie stings mair, so ye don't wantae do anythin' ta pure upset yer maw 'n' da, do ya." 

 "No." Robbie shook his head and then looked up at Daniel. "Is Dad gonna have a fake one?"

 "Nah, yer da' will have a real one. So ye both best be on yer best behaviour, yeah?"

 "Yeah, Mum will smack both of us -- hard," Robbie giggled. "Then they cuddle."

 "Right then," Daniel stepped in to change the flow of conversation. "So, that's two knives with sock sleeves. Nora, Robbie and I will go change while Mr ...."

 "Henderson."

 "Right, Mr Henderson can ring us up. C'mon, Robbie, jeans, jumpers and wellies await. And pants, we don't want to forget our pants."