Chapter 24 Hello

Daniel hated the way it felt to have blood rushing in his ears or how his lungs, constricted with anxiety, made it impossible to suck in a breath. He didn't even like to admit he suffered anxiety; it was an insult to his heritage, and to his self-image. And yet here he was, hiking the hill, trying to deal with the how the way Rose's sudden appearance made him feel. Now that they'd made an agreement to go their separate ways, he didn't know how he was supposed to feel. He loved her, he did, but he was no longer in love with her. Was he? Did that make what he felt brotherly love, fatherly love, ex-boyfriend attachment? The only thing he knew for sure was that he didn't lust after her anymore -- except in the middle of the night when the demons come out.

He needed time to think and put things in perspective. To that end, he climbed to the top of the knoll, checking that cable was buried properly then headed for the four men installing the parabolic microphone and reflector. He made a show of checking the line of EMF cameras, but he could only delay returning to the house so long. The men picked up their tools and headed back to the shed. He huffed, shoved his hands in his pockets and followed to where Steve and his team were installing the satellite dish. When there was nothing left to check, he was forced to admit that between Steve, and some guy from London whose name he didn't catch had things well in hand. He'd put off the walk to the house for as long as possible. He knew Rose stood at his office window, wondering why he'd ignored her presence.

He walked back to the SUV and chuckled at the sight of Jake, head back, mouth open, snoring softly. He gave him a gentle shake, wincing at the way he groaned. "Come on, mate, time for the house," he said

"Huh," Jake replied, still half asleep.

"Nick," Daniel yelled at the dark haired young man intent on calibrating the oscillator.

"Yeah," he yelled without looking up from the delicate piece of equipment.

"I'm takin' this stubborn partner of yours for a proper lie-down."

Nick straightened and flashed a smile. "Thanks, Daniel. He was afraid of mussing your bed."

"I'm fine, just needed a minute, I can supervise the satellite now," Jake said as he stepped out of the car, groaning with the effort.

"Right, of course, you can. Come on, you dumb, blond Brit. At least, a Scotsman has enough sense to stretch out," he teased whilst pulling Jake to his feet. It felt good to repay a tiny bit of all that he owed his best friend.

The walk to the house exhausted an already tired Jake. By the time they were at the door, his false bravado fled. Daniel tightened his grip, supporting most of Jake's weight as he eased him through the front door. Jake's heavy breathing became ragged and pain filled. Daniel managed him to the sofa and helped him get comfortable. "You need to take the pain pills Marcus gave you. I'll get you a water. Take them and get some real sleep. That lot will be at least a couple of hours."

"Okay, thanks," Jake mumbled as he settled against the plush sofa.

Daniel glanced up the stairs and then at Jake splayed out, eyes closed, looking miserable. The need to settle his friend beat out the possibility of a confrontation with Rose. Addie had the dog out on a get-acquainted walk around the house. It was odd to hear his deep bark echo through the woods. A moment later he had Jake upright long enough to swallow two pain pills. "If you need anything, give a holler. I am going up and see the new boss," Daniel said, placing the bottle back in Jake's pocket. It was odd to be the one tucking a comforter around a friend. "Here's the remote, football is on twenty-two."

"Daniel, can I ask you a question -- seriously?" Jake asked, his voice husky with exhaustion and pain.

Daniel straightened, and sighed with resignation "Sure."